Graphic Designer 🔥
Rewire News Group is the only media organization exclusively dedicated to reporting on reproductive and sexual health, rights, and justice. We’re a nonprofit, no-paywall, multiplatform newsroom that reaches more than 750,000 readers per month across our site, social channels, newsletter, podcast, and events. Rewire News Group is a remote, independent 501(c)(3) organization and an equal opportunity employer. Black, Indigenous and other people of color; LGBTQIA+ people; and people with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply.
Rewire News Group is hiring a Graphic Designer to help us evolve our visual branding as well as illustrate in-house, providing compelling images to accompany our editorial offerings. Our ideal candidate is familiar with social justice issues and storytelling, able to meet tight news deadlines, has a strong background both in creating illustrations and working with preexisting images, and is creative and enthusiastic about visual storytelling and bridging text and image. The Graphic Designer will provide images in a variety of spaces, including but not limited to social media, editorial offerings on our website, video slides, internal and external decks, and more. The ideal candidate is flexible and thoughtful, and is a self-starter who can function both independently and as part of the broader team. This role reports to our Art Director.
The Graphic Designer will:
● Develop or source attention-grabbing photos and other visual media for daily publishing needs across all our platforms, which include our website and social channels;
● Illustrate for articles, social media, promotions, and other needs as required, with tight editorial turnaround times;
● Plan ahead with art director/editors regarding dynamic visual content in forthcoming editorial content, including identifying opportunities for maximizing audience engagement;
● Work with writers on visual content they send over (often photos to go along with their article);
● Create innovative visuals with an eye toward what translates for social media storytelling;
● Edit photos – resizing, splicing, or other modifications – where applicable;
● Write or select captions for images and summarize images for alt text;
● Design or commission original graphics, illustrations, or visual support materials as needed;
● Collaborate with photographers (in-house or contractors);
● Participate in the creation of visual multimedia content as needed;
● Work with art director to create branding assets as needed (including but not limited to logos, website bugs, banners, and merchandise);
● Work with staff on other image needs, such as site graphics, form design, social media visuals, fundraising appeal graphics, etc.;
● Perform other duties and projects as assigned.
Note: This role is part of a collective bargaining unit, represented by the Washington-Baltimore News Guild, and specific employment terms are subject to collective bargaining.
The ideal candidate for this position:
● Has four or more years experience creating captivating visual content for short and long-term digital projects with a preference for experience at a media organization;
● Demonstrates excellence as a visual storyteller;
● Is a consummate multi-tasker, and thrives in a fast-paced environment, working under (sometimes intense) time pressure to deliver great work with ease and grace;
● Has extremely high quality standards;
● Has experience working with freelancers, negotiating contracts, and managing deadlines;
● Has a background and interest in designing/illustrating for diverse audiences;
● Has an unshakable commitment to journalistic ethics and intellectual property rules;
● Has a strong background both in creating illustrations and working with preexisting images;
● Is able to generate and execute creative ideas;
● Has excellent interpersonal communications skills and works well with a team and independently;
● Has expert capabilities in Adobe Suite (Photoshop, Illustrator, etc.), knows WordPress and basic HTML, and has advanced photo-editing skills;
● Has an interest in and familiarity with social justice issues;
● Is a self-starter with a strong work ethic;
● Is creative, shares ideas, and has a strong sense of humor;
● Can work remotely and on their own while also being present for the job and meet responsibilities;
● Is willing to follow and operate within stated Rewire News Group policies.
Rewire News Group is primarily a virtual organization and therefore, candidates for this position must have a home or other location with secure internet access from which to work. Candidates must be based within the Continental U.S. and legally authorized to work in the U.S. without requiring employer sponsorship. Preference will be given to candidates in locations in which current staff operate with ideal candidates based in either the New York City or Washington, DC Metro areas.