Consultancy: Grant Writer
Contract Duration: 12 weeks with the possibility of extension
Schedule: Up to 10 hours/week
About the Organization
Documented is a nonprofit news organization that produces reporting for and about immigrant New Yorkers. We provide original news stories on the ground-level impact of shifts in labor policy, law enforcement practices and bureaucratic requirements. We also report on the effects of new federal directives as well as Q&As and instructional guides that inform New Yorkers about food, health, financial aid and legal issues. We have won awards from the Deadline Club, the Online News Association, the Edward R. Murrow Awards and Local Independent Online News Publishers. Our work has been mentioned by The New York Times, The Washington Post, in federal lawsuits, at the New York City Council and many other places.
Documented seeks a part-time, contract-based role to provide grant writing and impact tracking services and support in reaching an annual institutional fundraising goal.
The Grant Writer will report to the Development Director, working closely with the entire Documented team of journalists, Co-Executive Directors, and bookkeepers. The ideal candidate for this position would be a strong writer, with an interest in local journalism and/or immigration/refugee issues and an interest in learning nonprofit development. A proven record of writing successful grant proposals is a plus but not necessary.
We are dedicated to improving our newsroom, by working with people with backgrounds that reflect the population of New York City. We are committed to diversity and building an inclusive environment for people of all backgrounds and ages. We encourage members of traditionally underrepresented communities to apply, including women, people of color, LGBTQ people and people with disabilities.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
1) Prospecting, Research and Opportunity Evaluation (40%): The Grant Writer will be responsible for evaluating and vetting new opportunities identified by other organization staff to assess fit, alignment with priorities, probability, rules and regulations, etc. The Grant Writer will conduct ongoing research to build a robust pipeline of opportunities and identify new grant resources including, but not limited to, corporate, foundation, and local grant-making opportunities that align with and support the organization’s funding needs and priorities.
2) Proposal and Report Development/Grant Writing (45%): Provide general proposal writing services, including for renewal and new opportunities, including:
- Convening the appropriate team members to establish proposal and report content
- Ensure that all internal stakeholders understand and commit to proposed activities, metrics, and program design for proposals and reports
- Facilitating project budget creation with Documented’s bookkeepers
- Incorporating edits and establishing evergreen language that can be used in multiple proposals
- Supporting timely, high-quality submissions of reports and proposals, managing attachments and ensuring that all submissions are complete and catalogued properly in our internal documents system
- Excellent writing, editing and communication skills. Writing experience can include: journalism, fundraising, nonprofit communications, business communications, or other writing.
- Experience with newsrooms, community-based organizations, immigration/refugee services and/or grant writing a plus.
- Technologically proficient with word, excel, google docs, and database management.
- Able to work well in a collaborative team environment as well as independently.
- Knowledge and familiarity with research techniques.
- Attention to detail without losing sight of the bigger picture.
- Excellent organizational and analytical skills with proven ability to prioritize projects and follow through on multiple assignments at once, meeting deadlines with attention to detail and high-level accuracy
The compensation for this role is $45/hour. Eventually, we hope to be able to return to our office full-time, but as of now, the position will be largely remote. We highly value lived experiences in the issues we cover as a news organization. We also understand the difficult work realities due to the pandemic and are open to accommodating people with different work requirements.
. Please attach 2 writing samples totaling no more than 5 pages. Writing samples can include a grant proposal, report, clipping, or other forms of writing. The deadline to apply for this role is Sep. 30, 2021.