Regional Community organizer - Detroit
We strive to create a workplace where you feel valued and empowered to be more than just an associate, but also a change-maker.
Go to work each day feeling like what you're doing matters.
We offer competitive and equitable compensation and a comprehensive benefits program.
All candidates are encouraged to discuss salary questions to honor alignment and transparency throughout the recruiting process.
ABOUT PLANNED PARENTHOOD
At Planned Parenthood of Michigan, you will find an organization that supports both your professional goals and your personal passions. We strive to create a workplace where you feel valued and empowered to be more than just an associate, but also a change-maker. Go to work each day feeling like what you’re doing matters.
We offer competitive and equitable compensation and a comprehensive benefits program. All candidates are encouraged to discuss salary questions to honor alignment and transparency throughout the recruiting process.
*100 Years of providing safe accessible & affordable health care to all.
*In This Together – Bringing associates together and fostering an inclusive culture.
*A progressive health organization committed to adhering to medical standards well above national requirements.
Under the direction of the Associate Field Director, the Regional Community Organizer builds, implements and executes direct community and field organizing programs to achieve the goals of Planned Parenthood's direct voter contact advocacy and organizing initiatives including, but not limited to: door-to-door canvassing, text banking, phone banking, relational organizing programs, outreach events, activist nights, community education presentations, volunteer training, coalition work, health center advocacy support, college campus organizing, fundraisers, grassroots lobbying and legislative education effort, and special projects across large geographic region.
This position is remote and can work out of our Detroit clinic
Salary range: $44,000 to $46,000
25% - Mainly in-state and in-turf travel reachable by car in a one-day
return trip. Occasionally out of state travel is required.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Under the direction of the Associate Field Director, the Regional Community Organizer implements and executes grassroots campaigns and other initiatives while meeting the numerical and recruitment goals.
- Responsible for building, implementing and executing electoral and political ground campaign activities in target districts to persuade voters and increase voter turnout – including large-scale paid and volunteer door-to-door canvassing programs and phone banking, managing teams of paid and volunteer canvassers, utilizing the Voter Activation Network (VAN) database, and cutting turf, script writing, and electoral and political messaging; including recruiting dues paying members to PPAM Membership program to increase engagement with electoral work in defined turf.
- Responsible for directing activities of interns, supporters, members, and volunteers, volunteer engagement groups, and activities that support awareness and advocacy campaigns, including, but not limited to, Legislative Action Teams, Volunteer Leadership Councils, Student Advocacy Groups, PPAM Members, and more.
- Builds, implements and executes grassroots issue education campaigns that engage and mobilize priority communities for a large geographic region.
- Actively participates in identifying tabling, volunteer recruitment, public speaking, and other visibility opportunities and works with supervisor to prioritize those opportunities.
- Establishes, maintains, and expands upon existing relationships and creates new alliances with state and local coalitions and allied organizations to strengthen visibility, credibility and mobilization efforts.
- Maintains and applies up-to-date knowledge of political and legislative issues impacting the mission of the organization as well as effective political grassroots campaign tactics and methodologies.
- Works interdepartmentally within PPMI to identify and coordinate cross-departmental outreach opportunities, including, but not limited to, work with Education and Youth, Development and Fundraising, and Health Center and Patient Advocacy.
- Responsible for regular reporting and communication of organizing efforts and results to leadership.
- Reviews progress of assignments with supervisor, and reaches out proactively for troubleshooting/support.
- Operates standard office equipment and uses required software applications, including, but not limited to: printer/copiers, laptops/tablets, Google Suite, Asana, and Outlook Email Software.
- This position requires significant contact with the public and serves as the face of PPMI and PPAM in local
- communities. Performs other duties and responsibilities as assigned
- Knowledge of:
- Intermediate knowledge of concepts, practices and procedures used in effective and efficient community and field organizing activities and campaigns designed to engage target audiences and move them to action.
- Intermediate knowledge of political issues impacting the mission of the organization.
- Intermediate knowledge of reproductive and sexual health issues impacting the organization's ability to further its mission.
- Intermediate knowledge of the reproductive justice framework and feminist principles.
- Intermediate knowledge of diversity and inclusion work, intersectionality, and race and identity equity organizing.
- Skills in:
- Basic Project Management and Event Planning.
- Operating standard office equipment and using required software applications, including Microsoft Office, Google Suite, and others.
- Data gathering and basic data analytics techniques.
- Basic meeting facilitation and process management.
- Working concepts, practices and procedures used in political campaigning and organizing.
- Public Speaking and community or educational presentations.
- Ability to:
- Organize, manage and track multiple detailed tasks and assignments with frequently changing priorities in a fast-paced work environment. Facilitate meetings, ensuring that all viewpoints, ideas, and problems are addressed.
- Incorporate needs, wants, and goals from established strategic goals into tactics and techniques to meet objectives.
- Attend to detail while maintaining a big picture orientation.
- Gather information, identify linkages and trends, and apply findings to assignments.
- Incite enthusiasm and influence, motivate and persuade others to achieve desired outcomes.
- Work under pressure on multiple projects concurrently and meet deadlines in a fast-paced work environment with frequent interruptions and changing priorities.
- Communicate effectively, both verbally and in writing.
- Work independently as well as collaboratively within a team environment.
- Handle stressful situations and provide a high level of customer service in a calm and professional manner.
- Establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Travel and accept a flexible work schedule that involves evening and weekend commitments.
- Solve problems, analyze information and data, and manage projects.
- Exercise a high degree of judgment and diplomacy and maintain confidentiality.
- Have a sense of humor.
- Qualifications and Experience Required At least one year of relevant experience in Community or Field Organizing, Political Science, Social Justice and/or
- Community Engagement work, or related fields OR Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by hiring decision makers
- Any equivalent combination of experience, education, and/or training approved by hiring decision makers.
We value a truly diverse workforce and a culture of inclusivity and belonging. Our goal is to attract qualified candidates and encourage applications from all individuals without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, marital status, sexual orientation, gender identity, or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We're committed to creating a dynamic work environment that values diversity and inclusion, respect and integrity, customer focus, and innovation.