National Director Of School Leadership Development
I. Overview of Teach Plus
The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success. The organization empowers expert teachers to advance policy changes and improve instructional leadership and teacher supports; trains and coaches teacher leaders to successfully mobilize and lead teacher teams; and empowers teacher leaders to be change agents among their peers and policy makers. Since 2009, Teach Plus has trained thousands of teacher leaders across the country who are driving policy changes and improving the instructional practices of teachers to create an education system driven by equity, access, and excellence for all students.
II. Position Description
Teach Plus’ Teacher-Led Practice Initiatives are innovative programs that engage, develop and support teacher leaders to generate, implement and manage change in district & school policies that impact teaching and learning, school culture & climate, and teaching practice.
As a member of the National Program Team, the National Director of School Leadership Development will lead the development of programming, train and coach school and district administrators to build collective leadership to support Teacher Leaders as they lead change in their individual schools as a part of Teach Plus’s programming nationally and regionally.
Reporting to the Vice President of Programs, this position is a critical leadership opportunity for an educator who has experience coaching school or district level administrators and is looking to support school reform driven by teacher leaders. This position will also support regions in designing and implementing training and coaching tools for administrators and teacher leaders that focus on equity and collective leadership.
Specifically, this role will support administrators and teacher leaders as a part of the Chicago Network for School Improvement (NSI-Chicago) with best practices being shared across all of our regional programming. NSI-Chicago Teacher Leaders work together as teams of high-performing educators with administrators that understand the power of shared leadership. Teacher Leaders, with the support of their NSI school network team, Teacher Leadership Coaches and Continuous Improvement Specialist, serve in leadership roles, leading teams of their peers in collaborative inquiry to support the work of their grade level or content teams in the school to significantly increase student achievement.
Teach Plus has identified five attributes that effective teacher leaders use to improve outcomes across their schools. The Director will support both administrators and teacher leaders in developing capacity in:
- Skillful Facilitation of Adult Learning
- Evidence-based Decision Making
- Purpose-driven Instructional Leadership
- Change Agency
- Equity Advocate
- Promoting and advancing the knowledge and understanding of programming at Teach Plus, including collaborating with the National Program Team around the comprehensive support for leadership attributes, goals and objectives of programming aligned with collaborative leadership competencies, and skills developed and supported through practice and policy programming.
- Leading the development and ongoing revision of our admin support curriculum, including the scope and sequence for each of our defined program models; leading the creation of content as needed across programs and supporting regional staff in adapting and creating content for specific local needs. Determining curriculum design needs will be done in collaboration with the Program Team and regional staff.
- In collaboration with the National Program Team, developing program support models focused on school/district administrators and identifying and supporting ways to continually improve practice, policy and alumni programs.
- In partnership with the Evaluation Team, reviewing and updating progress monitoring tools to ensure they yield immediate, accurate and actionable data to guide adult learning and facilitation, and to map challenges and strengths across regions.
- Supporting data collection and measurement of impact as it pertains to relevant objectives like increasing partner satisfaction, improving teacher practice and student outcomes; use data to meaningfully inform and make recommendations about any modifications or variations of the program.
- Executing learning goals designated by program design (e.g., quality of support, facilitation, and participant learning) for teacher leaders and administrators.
- With support of Teach Plus staff and Continuous Improvement Specialist, collaborate across the NSI Network to provide the following for the administrators and Teacher Leaders:
- With support of Teach Plus staff, collaborate with district and network leaders to monitor progress, build district and network capacity to support teacher leadership, and share best practices.
- Across regions, provide training, coaching, and support for administrators and teacher leaders participating in Teach Plus programs to develop their leadership skills and lead their colleagues to improve instruction. This includes leading training sessions, providing one-on-one coaching, leading cohort meetings, and collaborating with principals, as needed.
- Work with the Teach Plus national staff to develop systems that allow teacher leadership to be implemented more efficiently and effectively
- Collaborate with other members of the Program Team to communicate critical support, outcomes, metrics and resource needs.
- Weekly team meetings with the Vice President of Programs, the National Director of Program Learning, Design and Innovation and the National Director of Leadership Development and Curriculum.
- Monthly meetings with the Program Team to review our pipeline of service and support for all policy, practice and alumni programs.
- Bi- monthly virtual Teach Plus Coaches PLCs with other Education Leadership Coaches across the country focusing on common coaching problems of practice.
- Consistent feedback and support through bi-weekly one-on-one meetings with the Vice President of Programs.
- 6+ years in the education field, preference given to candidates who have both a teaching and administration background and/or experience in leadership development and facilitation of inquiry with teachers and/or school leaders
- Preference for experienced educators who have led transformative change at the school and/or district level.
- Dedication to equity for students, and a deep belief in the power of teachers and administrators to bring about positive change.
- A relentless focus on data, including analysis and using it to inform school leadership and make decisions.
- A great collaborator who is willing to ask questions and work together with others to continuously improve program design and leadership experiences.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, relationship-building, and interpersonal skills.
V. Commitment to Diversity
In order to better serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
VI. Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Teach Plus offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 3% matching 401k plan, disability and life insurance, and Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and childcare expenses. Teach Plus offers generous time off benefits including 15 vacation days, 3 personal days, 5 sick days, 11 holidays, and winter break. Additionally, Teach Plus offers a 4-week paid sabbatical for every five years of service.
This is a remote position (primarily from a home office). To maximize team collaboration time, candidates located in CST or EST will be prioritized.
VIII. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found. The online application will require you to upload a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include an explanation of your interest in the position as well as a summary of relevant qualifications and experience. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.