Education Leadership Coach
I. Overview of Teach Plus
The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced, and diverse teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that advance equity, opportunity, and student success. The organization empowers expert teachers to advance policy changes and improve instructional leadership and teacher supports; trains and coaches teacher leaders to successfully mobilize and lead teacher teams; and empowers teacher leaders to be change agents among their peers and policy makers. Since 2009, Teach Plus has trained thousands of teacher leaders across the country who are driving policy changes and improving the instructional practices of teachers to create an education system driven by equity, access, and excellence for all students.
II. Position Description
Teach Plus’ Teacher-Led Practice Initiatives are innovative programs that engage, develop, and support teacher leaders to generate, implement and manage change in district and school practices and policies that impact teaching and learning, school culture and climate, and teaching practice. In fall 2021, Teach Plus will launch a National Network of SEL (Social Emotional Learning) Change Agents, connecting 44 Change Agents across 4 partner districts as they lead change in their individual schools and districts. Teach Plus will hire two Education Leadership Coaches to develop and support our teacher leaders (Change Agents) as they work to re-envision their classrooms and schools as culturally-responsive, SEL-focused learning environments for their students.
Each Education Leadership Coach will develop, coach and support a cohort of 22 Change Agents across 2 partner districts as they lead change in their individual schools. Working in partnership with one another and with support from the National Director of Program Learning, Design and Innovation and the National Director of Leadership Development and Curriculum, Education Leadership Coaches will support Change Agents as they identify opportunities for change in their schools, make the case for change with their school leaders and colleagues, creating and implementing plans for creating change, and monitoring results. The Education Teacher Leadership Coach is a critical leadership opportunity for a skilled coach who is looking to support school change driven by teacher leaders.
Teach Plus has identified five attributes that effective teacher leaders use to shift educators’ practice and improve student outcomes across their schools, to which the Education Leadership Coach supports Teacher Leaders in developing in the following areas:
- Skillful facilitators of adult learning
- Evidence-based decision makers
- Purpose-driven instructional leaders
- School wide change agents
- Equity advocates
- Provide one-on-one support to their cohort of teacher leaders as they:
- Plan and implement their individual change projects to advance the determined project goals;
- Plan for and deliver relevant school meetings as they implement their change projects;
- Build their capacity as school leaders to advance their professional growth and leadership attribute-aligned growth goals.
- Monitor progress of change projects and change agents’ professional growth and make adjustments to programming to best meet their needs.
- Build capacity to support teacher leadership, and share best practices, which includes:
- Plan for and deliver professional development sessions (cohort meetings and convenings) for Teacher Leaders across the Network.
- Meet with the Evaluation Team to review data and discuss priorities.
- Identify opportunities for collaboration and best practice sharing with other regional and national coaches and regional directors.
- Maintain accurate and timely data and enter appropriate information into the Salesforce database for ongoing accountability reports.
- Works with the National Program Team to develop systems that allow teacher leadership to be implemented more efficiently and effectively and to communicate critical support, outcomes, metrics and resource needs.
- Bi-weekly coaches’ meetings with the National Director of Program Learning, Design and Innovation. Meetings with other Executive Directors and Program Team members, as appropriate.
- Bi-monthly virtual Teach Plus Coaches PLCs with other Education Leadership Coaches across the country focusing on common coaching problems of practice.
- Consistent feedback and support through one-on-one meetings with the National Director of Program Learning, Design and Innovation.
- 6+ years in the education field, with preference given to candidates who have both a teaching background and experience coaching teachers and school leaders in social emotional learning and/or culturally responsive school environments
- Preference given to leaders who have led instructionally transformational work
- Instructional coaching experience preferred
- A relentless focus on data, including analysis and using it to inform instruction and make continuous improvement decisions
- Experience in leadership development and facilitation of inquiry with teachers and/or school leaders
- Commitment to and previous experience with educational equity and a belief in the power of teachers to bring about positive change for all students
V. Commitment to Diversity
In order to better-serve the teachers and students at the core of our mission, Teach Plus is committed to maximizing the diversity of our organization. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage individuals of all ethnic and racial backgrounds and gender identities to apply to our positions.
This is a 80% virtual position, with a potential of 20% obligation to on-campus school visits. Teach Plus is hiring two remote coaches and will be prioritizing candidates who are located in RI, NY, NV, NM, or MS.
VII. Compensation and Benefits
Compensation is competitive and commensurate with experience. Teach Plus offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, 3% matching 401k plan, disability and life insurance, and Flexible Spending Accounts for medical and childcare expenses. Teach Plus offers generous time off benefits including 15 vacation days, 3 personal days, 5 sick days, 12 holidays, and winter break. Additionally, Teach Plus offers a 4-week paid sabbatical for every five years of service.
VIII. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.