Associate Editor 🔥
We believe that we are better together, and at Tripadvisor we welcome you for who you are. Our workplace is for everyone, as is our people powered platform. At Tripadvisor, we want you to bring your unique identities, abilities, and experiences, so we can collectively revolutionize travel and together find the good out there.
Cruise Critic, the world’s largest online cruise resource and part of Tripadvisor.com, is seeking an Editor to join its Editorial team. This position will be part of the U.S. site and will work closely with our team in North America and the U.K. to produce news and features, as well as take on projects as needed within the team.
The ideal candidate will be a self-starter who can work well independently and as part of a fast-moving team. The right person will be excited about covering cruise through news and trend stories and will work to update features and ship reviews. They should have an eye for stories that spark social engagement and be as comfortable analyzing traffic metrics as they are conducting interviews with industry leaders and doing research. An ability to write with SEO and related keywords in mind is also required.
This job will involve regular travel to ships and industry events, and some off-hours, evening and weekend work, which comes with those kinds of assignments, will be required. The position will be remote, with the expectation of working East Coast hours.
The ideal candidate will have a journalism or related degree with at least five years of experience working for an online publication. They will also be passionate about travel and cruise, and enjoy working in a team environment, both within a department and a larger business organization.
• Excellent command of English language, grammar, punctuation, spelling
• Excellent writing and editing skills; ability to edit writing of freelancers and peers
• Ability to develop a beat and interview sources on the phone, in person and by email
• Consistent contribution of ideas for stories, content and business key areas of growth
• Comfort with using editorial tools and proposing ideas for efficiency and improvement
• Ability to develop and execute on a plan independently
• Strong understanding of digital media landscape as it relates to business growth
• Takes team-first approach to projects and anticipates team needs, putting team and company goals ahead of self
• Ability to quickly, concisely and clearly summarize information
• Ability to meet deadlines and work independently
• Must be organized with an eye for accuracy and detail and enjoy multi-tasking in a fast-paced environment
• Knowledge of Adobe analytics or other traffic monitoring platform
• Strong communication skills
• Passion for travel
• College degree in journalism or related field
• Write multiple stories on a daily and weekly basis
• Develop story ideas based on trends, news and keyword opportunities
• Edit content from freelancers and peers
• Develop and lead content strategy on assigned projects
• Contribute ideas and content to team projects
Travel regularly on overnight cruises, both within the US and internationally.
• Attend ship visits, industry events, dinners and launches on behalf of Cruise Critic
• Work closely with PR and marketing departments
• Establish good contacts and maintain strong relationships within the industry
• Monitor traffic and analyze metrics, making recommendations on coverage based on figures
• Use data to shape decisions