Staff Writer, Trending News
LOCATION: Remote within the US
Daily Kos is the nation's largest liberal online political community, news organization, and activism hub. Powered by millions of dedicated activists, we’re transforming media and organizing by empowering regular Americans to reshape a political world once only the domain of the rich, powerful, and connected. We are news you can do something about.
Our Staff Writer works directly with our dynamic Trending News team, the team responsible for most of our quick hits, our viral-potential hits, and who covers the chart-topping news that gets our audience talking. We’re looking for an excellent writer with an activist bent. You’re unapologetically progressive, but dedicated to research and facts. You’ll create stories on our site designed to drive engagement, helping us grow and diversify our audience, and to find ways to empower our readers to take action. We want someone passionate about immigration, reproductive justice, civil rights, and electing more and better Democrats—and we also welcome writers interested in covering political stories outside our current scope. If you’ve got a fierce written voice, an eye for big news, and a love for online activism and progressive politics, we want you.
Daily Kos is an exciting workplace! Our site is used by hundreds of thousands of people a day who care deeply about progressive politics and are working to affect real political change. We have an energized team of awesome people with diverse backgrounds and experience. If you’ve got a keen eye, are excited by grammar, and have a love for online activism and progressive politics, we’d love for you to join our passionate and dedicated team.
Our offices are in Oakland, CA and Washington D.C., however, we are open to fully remote applicants.
This position could require working weekends.
- Writing trending news stories, both assigned and self-selected, aimed at informing and engaging the audience we have and the audience we want
- Collaborating with other team members to determine how we can drive our audience to action on your stories
- Live events coverage, such as election nights and presidential debates
- News writing experience with a focus on politics and its related issues
- Familiarity with Daily Kos is a plus
- Savviness with images or video is a plus
- An innovative thinker with an eye on the latest trends in news and social media
- Strong time management and organizational skills
- A team player who enjoys both working collaboratively and independently
- Fantastic all-around communicator
- Ability to handle a fast-paced, dynamic environment full of distractions
- Comfortable with a virtual working environment
- Be tech and internet savvy (we use Google Docs, Slack, Dropbox, Asana, and lots of other tools that make work life easier)
Salary Range: $60,000 - $65,000
This position is a 40 hour/week, full-time exempt position and reports to the Trending News Manager. Candidates must be legally eligible to work in the United States. The position offers a flexible work environment, the ability to work remotely or from home, competitive salary, excellent benefits including: full medical, dental and vision benefits, 401K with a company match, remote worker stipend, professional development stipend, company-paid holidays, a generous vacation package, traumatic grief leave, as well as employer-paid parental/family leave. Our organizational commitment to personal growth and work-life balance reduces churn and encourages a very rewarding long term position.
At Daily Kos, we believe that the diversity of ideas, experiences, and cultures that our employees contribute to our organization help us be more effective activists, and we are proud to be an inclusive and equal opportunity workplace. We have a team of amazing people with different backgrounds and talents that are energized by the day’s news events, and people united by common cause. We’re a company that loves learning and supports growth and training for all our employees.
Women, people of color, and LGBTQ individuals strongly encouraged to apply.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Note: Daily Kos does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to any recruiting alias or employee.