Campaign Coordinator for Boston Climate Action Network
Campaign Coordinator for
Boston Climate Action Network
What is BostonCAN?
BostonCAN is a group of Boston residents taking action in political, personal, and social ways to achieve climate justice. Our organization is comprised of a Board, an approximately 30 member “action team” which implements our campaigns, a Communications Team, a Public Education Committee, an ad hoc Data and Research team, and a contact list of approximately 1500 activists. Find out more on our organizational website BostonCAN.org.
BostonCAN seeks a full-time Campaign Coordinator for our campaign to cut carbon emissions from large buildings. A mere 3% of Boston buildings are responsible for half the total Boston carbon footprint. Existing energy efficiency regulations on these buildings are not strong enough. We’re calling for a strong building emissions performance standard (BEPS), which would require large building owners to track their emissions per square foot and meet increasingly strict performance standards. For more details on these points, please read ouror take a look at the on the topic.
- Educate city councilors, mayoral candidates, and administrative officials about BEPS.
- Build relationships with current BostonCAN supporters and recruit new volunteers, providing opportunities for them to better understand BEPS and this campaign’s significance to climate justice
- Organize outreach events in as many Boston neighborhoods as possible, supporting volunteers to do tabling and in other ways mobilize their peers to pressure city staff, city councilors, and mayoral candidates to take action on the issue
- Strengthen relationships with members of coalitions that BCAN participates in such as the Boston Clean Energy Coalition and the Green Justice Coalition.
- Organize and attend campaign-related events, including occasional public speaking
- Document activities and expenses regularly for BostonCAN board and treasurer
- Assist with grant writing and submitting
- at least 2 years community organizing or campaign experience, including creating and implementing campaign strategies, recruiting new members, facilitating meetings and developing organizational leadership with a diverse group of activists
- experience working or volunteering on an environmental justice campaign
- familiarity with issues of green building policy or climate change, especially as they relate to the city level
- ability to work independently and at flexible hours, including some evenings and weekends, and ability to attend events throughout Boston
- experience working with small, grassroots organizations
- experience working with diverse constituencies, such as low-income communities of color, public officials, private sector partners, and non-native English speakers
- ability to methodically track data, and experience with database software such as ActionNetwork, CiviCRM, Salesforce, etc. is a plus
- ability to juggle many tasks simultaneously, while maintaining attention to detail
- knowledge of Boston neighborhoods and the diverse array of groups working on climate change from a variety of perspectives preferred (Boston residency strongly preferred)
- experience working on city-level political campaigns preferred
- experience using social media and digital organizing tools including Google Drive and Google Groups
Boston Climate Action Network offers very competitive compensation based on skills and experience. We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage women, LGBTQ persons, and Black, Indigenous and People of Color to apply.
Interested applicants should send a resume and cover letter toand should title the e-mail “Application for Coordinator Position.” We will review applications on a rolling basis until the position is filled, and we expect the new coordinator to begin work in August.