Grants and Development Officer
Nest Foundation is a 501(c)(3) organization dedicated to advancing the movement to end all forms of sexual violence against children, including sexual exploitation and trafficking, through trauma-informed, holistic prevention education programs. Using the documentary film, PLAYGROUND, and other original content, Nest educates youth, empowers educators and caregivers, and activates communities. Learn more: nestfoundation.org
We are a small but mighty organization seeking an experienced Grants and Development Officer that can prospect and identify new funding opportunities to quadruple our current budget over the next 12 months from $500k to $2M. While we currently operate programs in California, Oregon, Texas, and New York, we continue to steadily expand. Our office is located in Los Angeles though this can be a remote position.
You will work with the Executive Director and Director of Programs to ascertain our needs and to synthesize our mission, work, and vision for future projects into engaging and accessible proposals and grant applications.
Build upon our current fundraising strategies to develop, implement, and monitor a comprehensive and actionable multi-year development plan to establish and meet current annual revenue goals ($1.5M in 2021) and prepare for expansion to $2M+ annually.
Lead all fundraising efforts, specifically in the areas of:
- Individual Giving Drive overall individual giving strategy and build an org-wide major gifts program by cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding a portfolio of existing major donors, as well as identifying, cultivating, soliciting, and stewarding prospective major donors throughout the year.
- Institutional Funding Manage and expand our portfolio of foundation and corporate partners (e.g., developing and writing proposals, managing reporting on data and progress, ensuring active stewardship and ongoing communications, preparing for and conducting meetings)
Develop and maintain standard operating procedures for organization-wide fundraising efforts that are aligned with industry best practices including:
- Develop internal reporting systems, keep historical records of all grants materials, and maintain current record of outcomes, deliverables, and associated documentation proposed to funders
- Prospect new leads and coordinate approaches to potential institutional and individual funders
- Initiate and manage donation acknowledgement process
- Manage and track all grants deadlines and ensure timely submissions
- Maintain database with latest donor and gift information
- Write and submit a portfolio of high-quality exhibition proposals, including creating cover letters, LOIs, and effective funding requests that demonstrate the core mission, programs and goals of our organization with an inspiring voice and message
- Report and track grants, including preparing interim and final reports, reconciling budgets, managing the stewardship process
- Demonstrated track record in building meaningful partnerships with key donors and stakeholders, ideally with progressive accomplishments in these areas
- Superior interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills – articulate and persuasive, with the ability to craft resonant messaging and diligent follow up
- Is a dynamic storyteller who can represent program participants’ stories in an authentic and compelling fashion with an eye towards the audience and an awareness of the limitations of one’s own perspective
- Ability to comprehend and interpret impact data for effective donor communications
- Action-oriented, proactive, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to work
- Familiarity with and relationships in Los Angeles, New York City, Boston, Dallas/Austin/Houston philanthropic networks a plus
- Demonstrated track record of achieving fundraising targets
- Superior writing and editing skills, strong ability to alter tone and adapt narratives to multiple audiences
- Knowledge of existing grantors and ability to research and identify new funding prospects
- Commitment to strict confidentiality of employees, business and practice information
- Ability to communicate effectively over email and experience with cloud-based collaboration (Google Drive/Docs experience a plus) with demonstrated success in working remotely
- Exceptional attention to detail and correct use of grammar
STRATEGIC AND CREATIVE THINKING
- Has a hunger/curiosity for learning and seeks out internal and external resources to understand new concepts or content areas
- Excels at unpacking quantitative and qualitative data, synthesizing information, and extracting key insights or trends in order to communicate to different audiences
- Understands the big picture and how granular information connects to the macro level