Director of Politics and Policy
is a national organization building the voice of people working for the country’s largest corporations. Through scaled leadership development and base-building, UFR’s growing network is challenging major corporations and policymakers to provide family‐sustaining jobs for all working people. We leverage technology — social media, relational tools, and our digital platform, — and bring the workforce into a shared community of support and advocacy.
Reporting to our Chief of Staff, as our Director of Politics and Policy, you will be a member of the organization’s Senior Management Team and lead the national political, policy and electoral program that includes strategies to hold Walmart, Amazon and Wall Street accountable, national and state policy campaigns that centers our members’ leadership, and drives solutions for structural changes in the economy across employers and issues. Key political and policy campaign initiatives that this position will engage on include, but are not limited to:
- The Stop Wall Street Looting Initiative which is protecting retail jobs from Wall Street’s predatory practices. UFR’s leaders are actively fighting to pass legislation to prohibit Wall Street’s profiteering at the expense of working families, and advocating for severance pay nationwide.
- Driving policy solutions for family sustaining jobs in retail to enhance quality of life at home and work. UFR’s leaders have been at the forefront of fighting for fair scheduling, paid family and sick leave, and better sexual harassment protections.
- Emerging areas of interest and relevance in political strategy including worker representation initiative, future of work, automation, data and surveillance, and anti-trust/anti-monopoly.
- Develop a voter engagement program, in close partnership with all UFR programs, utilizing our unique online-to-offline organizing model that will build and leverage a broad base of political support for workplace and economic stability in targeted states.
- Oversee the States Policy Campaign program that drives local and state structured policy campaigns for wins in the aforementioned programs.
We encourage you to apply for this position if you are excited about worker and community empowerment and are passionate about investing time and resources into deep organizing and training. The ideal candidate excels at relationship-building, interpersonal communication, and leadership development. This position is focused on organizing for legislative and policy campaigns and will work within the States Power Building team at United for Respect.
What You’ll Be Doing
The Director of Politics and Policy will lead the Political and Policy team at United for Respect to build political power and win on our policy initiatives. Working in collaboration with all of UFR programs, the Director of Politics and Policy will:
- Drive the national political strategy across all UFR programmatic work and campaigns, identifying strategic opportunities for growth of political influence and success.
- Manage policy campaign staff and state policy campaign strategy by driving, supporting and coordinating state policy campaigns.
- Build and maintain relationships with Presidential and other electoral campaigns, members of Congress, key stakeholders, national and in some cases state partner organizations to advance UFR political and campaign strategy.
- Participate in key national and state coalition tables that drive political and policy campaigns.
- Develop political and policy campaign strategy and plans to move key national and state legislation that impacts UFR members.
- Manage civic engagement programs, including maintaining key political relationships with electoral organizations and funders; identify funding opportunities and develop civic engagement grant proposals.
- Working with the Development Director on fundraising for programmatic work.
- Support leadership development by Field to ensure there is a deep bench of leaders who can be policy experts and public advocates on core policy campaigns.
- Support the leader-led Policy Agenda Committee that helps build UFR’s first policy agenda that improves the lives of retail workers while transforming how the economy operates. Develop the policy agenda into a political platform.
- Support internal UFR coordination on organizational priorities.
- Support the digital team and data scientist/staff to build out data infrastructure, maintenance and analysis.
What You Will Bring
- Highly motivated individual with a passion for transforming the lives of working people in retail and in low-wage jobs.
- At least 10 years progressive experience in political and electoral management, e.g. political organizing, policy and legislative campaigns, electoral campaigns or political programmatic work.
- Experience in public policy or political advocacy and working in coalitions.
- Exceptional interpersonal skills, ability to empathize, connect, and work with people who work in low-wage jobs from diverse backgrounds.
- Strong strategic development skills, specifically the ability to understand political strategy, policy and develop campaign plans on how to amplify these issues.
- Strong political engagement skills, specifically the ability to navigate complex, high-profile relationships to deliver new opportunities for our members.
- Strong communication skills, including campaign plan writing and messaging.
- Ability to manage multiple projects and problem solve.
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage time efficiently.
- Ability to work occasional nights and weekends.
- Comfortable with a remote work culture and working across and managing staff in different time zones.
- A demonstrated commitment to social and racial justice issues and understanding of challenges facing immigrant communities, communities of color, and low-and moderate income families.
- This position is remote but Washington, DC location is a plus.
We’re Excited About You Because You
- Have a vision for funding a powerful renewal of the labor movement driven by a commitment to grassroots worker power and the leadership of working class people to define our own destiny.
- Have a proven track record and capability to lead teams and cross-departmental projects.
- Demonstrate a high level of proficiency in managing execution of Development initiatives of different sizes
- Utilize a values-based approach when describing strategy.
- Embrace technology as an enabler to help you get your job done and to collaborate in a culture that promotes passion in technology.
- Passionate about fighting Wall Street and big corporations like Walmart and Amazon.
- Think creatively and innovatively about the opportunity to lift up voices of people working in retail through political strategies and legislative campaigns.
- Reimagine a department structure with a set scope of work and staff to fit a comprehensive campaign model.
Salary Range: $95,000-120,000k dependent on experience and location
United for Respect is an Equal Employment Opportunity employer and actively recruits people of color, women, individuals with disabilities, and members of the LGBTQIA+ community. United for Respect provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
Location: This position is remote but Washington, DC location is a plus.