Senior Research Associate
Senior Research Associate
The Connecticut Data Collaborative (CTData) seeks an enthusiastic person who loves data, believes in our mission, and wants to grow our organization to join our small team as the Research Associate.
CTData, a 501(c)(3) nonprofit, is a public-private partnership striving for informed decision-making across CT. We empower an ecosystem of data users by democratizing access to public data and building data literacy skills. CTData serves residents, nonprofits, policymakers, and funders in using data to drive policy, program, and service improvements. To learn more, visit ctdata.org.
The Senior Research Associate will work closely with the Assistant Director to execute the mission of the organization. The data analyst will contribute to several areas of CTData, with a focus on ourwork, with the goal of building and supporting a statewide learning community around the use of data to drive planning and policy.
As part of a small team, the Senior Research Associate will:
- Work with staff and/or external partners to design and implement research reports, analytical briefs, blog posts, and presentations.
- Develop and design research projects examining population trends in Connecticut in addition to other pertinent and relevant statewide economic and policy topics
- Format, transform, analyze, and interpret raw data, including census and public data.
- Summarize findings in clear, concise writing for print, web, and other formats.
- Visualize data cleanly and professionally.
- Assist with answering census data questions from partners and community members.
- Present findings and gather feedback from the public and/or stakeholders.
- Master’s degree or PhD in economics, geography, or social sciences
- Experience analyzing and communicating data.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Excel (experience with R, SPSS, and/or Python preferred).
- Experience creating clean and effective static visualizations in Excel or Google Charts, as well as interactive charts and maps in Datawrapper or Tableau.
- Experience analyzing Census data, including American Community Survey, Household Pulse Survey, and Small Business Pulse Survey, as well as querying data from IPUMS.
- Tenacity in the face of new information and obstacles.
- Able to manage projects, guide the work of teammates, and communicate with clients and partners.
- Understanding of the relationships between social conditions and quality of life outcomes.
- Familiarity with local governmental and political structures.
- Intellectual curiosity and a love of data.
- Strong writing skills, particularly the ability to write about census and other public data to describe patterns and trends to general, non-technical audiences.
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively with staff and outside organizations.
Salary and Benefits
This position is full-time with a salary between $65,000 - $80,000. We are a diverse, remote-first team with HQ in downtown Hartford. In addition to all standard benefits like health insurance and a parking pass, you will have flexibility setting up your own working hours during our 36-hour work week, will benefit from three floating holidays per year (plus one for your birthday), and a modest budget to learn and attend conferences.
This position is remote and can be based anywhere in Connecticut. It will require occasional travel to CTData HQ in Hartford.
is assisting with this search. Please email with any questions.