Staff Software Engineer
Employment Status: Full-time
Position Reports To: VP of Engineering
Start date: Immediate
Anticipated compensation: Starting at $120,000, commensurate with experience
Who We Are
Saga Education is a national nonprofit that has served over 17,600 students with high-dose math tutoring during their regular school day. Fueling this work is a bold vision to combat educational inequity by working with school districts to unlock the power of personal relationships to nurture academic, social and emotional growth for young people. Our students and schools represent historically marginalized communities. Our mission is to provide them rigorous, high impact tutorials that ensure they have the confidence and academic strength to achieve success in high school and beyond.
For more information about Saga Education’s mission, please visit us at.
The Work and Why it Matters
Our software engineering team supports this bold vision by building best-in-class products. Today this includes,, , and . Saga Connect is an online learning platform for live tutor-student interactions. It enables our tutors (Saga Fellows and AmeriCorps members) to deliver high quality online math instruction. It was ranked as the best online platform for live instruction by the College Board, and today, we are proud to support the use of it by other organizations.
Saga is the best at training non-educators to be high quality and high impact tutorials. Our most recent effort is Saga Coach, an innovative platform that strives to capture this training in a self-serve course that is as engaging as it is effective.
Last, we continue to deepen our direct support of math teachers through Woot Math, a research-based, award-winning adaptive learning and formative assessment platform for the K-12 math classroom (by Saga Education in 2020).
Our team is passionate about building high-value products that enable transformative learning and support the teachers and tutors that are the frontline of that work. To do this, we continuously gather data, listen to our users, and focus on providing tools and platforms that are as effective as they are delightful.
No matter the language or technology, our goal remains the same: to deliver best-in-class, innovative products that reimagine how software can help teachers and tutors reach more students.
Saga Education is at the forefront of education reform and innovation, and we are investing heavily into technology and products to accelerate this vision. We’re looking for a Staff Software Engineer to help accelerate the development of our scalable server environment, unify and expand our administrative and internal tools capabilities for our suite of products, and be an active member of the software team to help drive innovation in a rapidly changing environment.
Saga Education acquired Woot Math for it’s advanced technology platform, and is continuing to build out capacity and capabilities in the mobile web space. The Woot Math leadership team previously held executive positions at Disney Online, and the team has a rich history of developing award-winning, best-in-class software products.
- You will assume a leadership role in maintaining and improving the web stack, data architecture, build, deploy & test, software lifecycle, and platform scalability -- reporting directly to the VP of Engineering
- You will lead the development of internal and administrative tools required for Saga products to scale
- You will assume a technical leadership role in a team of engineers building best-in-class software
- You will be an individual contributor responsible for rapid and robust full-stack software development
- Mission Alignment - You acknowledge social injustice in education and have a desire to grow
- Nimble Learning - You use both successes and failures to actively learn new lessons
- Collaborates - You work collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives
- Action Oriented - You take on new opportunities and have a solutions-oriented approach
- Communicates Effectively - You deliver clear, multi-mode communication to various audiences
- Ensures Accountability - You hold yourself and others accountable to meet commitments
Experience & Qualifications
- You have completed a BS/MS/PhD degree in Computer Science, Computer Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Electrical Engineering, Mathematics, Physics, or related fields
- You have 6-10 years experience in software development
- You have led front-end or back-end software development projects
- You are passionate about developing software products that make an impact in education
Saga Education offers a competitive salary commensurate with experience, a comprehensive benefits package, generous PTO, as well as opt-in programs such as 401k retirement plan, flexible spending account (FSA), and discounts through Tickets At Work. Saga Education will provide company-owned technology when applicable.
Saga Education provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants.
People from all diverse backgrounds are strongly encouraged to apply.
Thank you for applying to Saga Education.