Digital Content Strategist
Digital Content Strategist
*Although Diaspora Rising is based in Washington DC, this position is FULLY REMOTE*
The Digital Content Strategist is responsible for planning and producing digital content for email and web platforms that engage and increase Diaspora Rising’s audience, and maintains a consistent Diaspora Rising narrative and voice across all platforms. This role will collaborate with Diaspora Rising staff to establish goals, recommend strategies, plan production, and report results. The Digital Content Strategist serves as the point person for digital best practices, understanding not only user actions but user intent, and creates digital content that best meets the goals of Diaspora Rising.
This includes creating and disseminating compelling messaging for our digital campaigns aligned with our 4 pillars (Amplify, Educate, Advocate, Connect), defining effective segmentation strategies, and aligning digital engagement plans with the goals of Diaspora Rising. This position requires a strong command of digital marketing principles, a high level of organization, and a mastery of digital/social media channels. Candidates should also have strong written communication skills and a working knowledge of how to craft engaging messages for various digital channels.
The Digital Content Strategist will work closely with the Diaspora Rising Communications Director and will report to the Managing Director.
Digital Content Strategy, Coordination, and Execution
• Develops and executes on content strategy across digital channels, including email, web, and social media; Strategy will be aligned with Diaspora Rising advocacy campaigns and amplification priorities
• Manages content strategy and creates content for Diaspora Rising web properties,
including the Diaspora Rising newsletter
• Maintains social media pages; serves as team expert on email and social media best
practices, with strong hands-on experience working with digital marketing platforms
• Ensures content is timely, relevant, and coordinated with the larger Diaspora Rising
agenda and priorities while engaging the Diaspora Rising audience and driving brand awareness
• Builds relationships and collaborates with colleagues across Diaspora Rising’s many
partnerships to ensure full and complementary digital coverage
• Manages and cultivates the Diaspora Rising social media audience
Digital Project Management and Analysis
• Manages digital projects, including internal and external e-mail newsletters, and works in
partnership with Diaspora Rising communications team to develop and execute communications strategies,; ensures projects meet stated outcomes and are in alignment with Diaspora Rising priorities
• Monitors and evaluates analytics related to audience-specific marketing strategies and recommends adjustments and refinements
Content Creation and Short-Form Writing
• Develops and posts social media content; develops and maintains social media editorial
calendar in alignment with Diaspora Rising’s overall priorities and other Diaspora Rising teams
• Assists with additional short-form writing assignments, including event communication
marketing suites, as needed
Additional roles or projects may arise that are outside the description above, but that are in keeping with the duties of the position.
• Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills with the ability to work and
communicate effectively with multiple stakeholders and partners
• Demonstrated ability to develop a compelling, distinct, and cohesive organizational voice
through digital content creation across multiple platforms
Additional Qualifications and Skills
• Ability to conduct independent research and monitor developments to inform writing and content strategy
• Creativity and intellectual curiosity, as well as initiative, strategic thinking, and flexibility
• Exceptional organization and time management skills including the ability to manage multiple projects under tight deadlines and adapt to changing priorities in a complex organization
• Professional, proactive, collaborative, conscientious, and results-oriented nature
• Optimistic and positive demeanor, good intuition, and an ability to adapt to changing priorities with a strong attention to detail and high standards of accuracy
• Definite abilities to innovate, think strategically and conceptually, and display good, sound judgment with a sense of humor
• Hands-on experience managing digital, social, and email platforms preferred
This position is a contract position and requires a 3-month orientation and review period.