Program Manager, Technological and Industrial Solutions
Job Title: Program Manager, Technological and Industrial Solutions
Location: Flexible: Washington, DC or remote (working with significant overlap with US business hours)
Start Date: Immediately
Reports to: Senior Program Manager
is a global leader helping to tackle the world’s most intractable environmental and social challenges. As a mission-driven non-profit organization, Verra is committed to reducing greenhouse gas emissions, improving livelihoods, and protecting natural resources across the private and public sectors. We support climate action and sustainable development with standards, tools, and programs that credibly, transparently, and robustly assess environmental and social impacts and enable funding for sustaining and scaling up projects that verifiably deliver these benefits. We work in any arena where we see a need for clear standards, a role for market-based mechanisms, and an opportunity to generate significant environmental and social value.
Verra manages a portfolio of standards, including the:
- -- the world’s leading carbon crediting program, with more than 1600 registered projects in 80 countries, and accounting for two-thirds of all voluntary carbon market transaction volume.
- -- a flexible framework for assessing and reporting on the sustainable development benefits of project-based activities.
- -- to identify projects that simultaneously address climate change, support local communities, and conserve biodiversity.
- -- to enable robust impact assessment of new or scaled-up waste recovery and recycling projects around the globe.
Verra’s Program Team is looking for a Program Manager, Technological and Industrial Solutions to support our work to foster climate impact and generate related environmental and social benefits through the VCS Program. In the context of this position, technological and industrial solutions encompasses all sectors other than the Natural Climate Solutions sector.
A day with Verra’s Program Team might include:
- Providing guidance and support to users of the Verra programs, including project and program developers, methodology developers, and other stakeholders, especially with respect to technological and industrial activities.
- Managing Program Team colleagues in ensuring consistent project quality, including reviewing project documentation, making project site visits, and liaising closely with project stakeholders.
- Managing some of the methodologies being developed under Verra programs, especially for those focused on technological solutions.
- Participating and contributing in Innovations Team meetings to help identify new opportunities to scale up the industrial activities and implement solutions to barriers within existing Verra standards and methodologies.
- Contributing to Verra programs’ evolution by developing updates to existing Verra rules and procedures to drive significant environmental and social project impact.
- Collaborating with other Verra teams such as the Innovations, Policy & Markets, and Communications Teams to advance our organizational mission.
Specific functions you will be responsible for leading:
- Managing Program Team colleagues who provide support and oversight to technological and industrial projects seeking VCS and SDVISta certification.
- Serving as an expert resource within the program team on technical matters relating to technological and industrial projects, including training and mentoring junior staff.
- Providing technical guidance to users of Verra programs. Such users include project developers, methodology developers, validation/verification bodies, technical service providers, and other stakeholders such as credit buyers.
- Resolving critical issues related to technological and industrial projects, including collaborating with Verra colleagues to respond to stakeholder inquiries and concerns.
- Helping draft revisions to Verra program rules and procedures relevant to technological and industrial projects to help maintain the robustness, workability, and impact of those programs.
- Supporting other Verra teams such as Innovations and Policy & Markets on other emerging opportunities.
- Representing Verra at relevant industry conferences, workshops, and events.
You bring with you:
- A technical degree, preferably master’s, in a relevant field such as engineering, technology, or similar.
- At least 7 years of relevant professional experience with 3-4 years of management experience, preferably working for a standards organization, NGO, government, consultancy, project developer, and/or as an auditor.
- Technical background and demonstrated understanding of GHG models, climate change, and sustainability science.
- Strong attention to detail. Ability to think creatively and in a solution-oriented manner.
- Strong project management and organizational skills, including prioritizing and working efficiently and effectively under deadlines.
- Culturally aware with the ability to work with stakeholders and partners from different countries and cultures.
- Self-starter with the ability to excel in a professional environment with limited supervision.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. Fluency in English is essential. Fluency in other languages would be an additional asset.
In this role, you will grow and expand your expertise by:
- Working at the cutting edge of programs designed to drive finance towards high-impact activities that tackle some of the most pressing environmental issues of our day.
- Working on challenges and opportunities faced by practitioners of activities to reduce greenhouse gas emissions and improve livelihoods.
- Finding effective ways to ensure the quality of projects and credits under Verra programs.
- Working with a dynamic, committed, and focused team of professionals.
You will know you are successful, if:
- You are seen as a leader and a go-to resource by your peers and as a reliable and capable member of the team by your manager.
- You build on your appreciation and respect for the challenges and opportunities faced by users of the Verra programs and are able to effectively ensure the quality of activities certified under the Verra programs.
- Verra stakeholders consistently express positive feedback regarding your ability to collaborate to find workable solutions to challenges they face.
You will join a team:
- From diverse locations and backgrounds, including carbon market experts, project developers, consultants, policymakers, researchers, auditors, and more.
- Committed to driving finance at scale to projects and programs that advance climate action and sustainable development through high-quality standards and programs.
- That embodies Verra’s values, which include .