Tutor a disadvantaged young person (14-18yrs) online 1 hour weekly with The Access Project
The Access Project, an education charity, supports disadvantaged young people to progress to university. We are looking for volunteers who would be able to tutor a young person aged 14-18, online, 1 hour a week in term-time Sept-Nov 2021- Summer 2022 to support them with their academic studies.
•Support a young person in a school subject to achieve the GCSE / A level grades they deserve and to fulfil their potential.
•Inspire, motivate and raise aspirations towards higher education and the world of work.
•Students supported by The Access Project typically achieve a grade higher at GCSE and are four times more likely than their peers to progress to a top-third ranked university.
No prior experience necessary, full training included with start dates through the autumn term.
Interested? You’ll need to:
· Either be currently studying for an undergraduate degree or have an undergraduate degree/equivalent professional qualification.
· Either have an A Level subject you wish to tutor at GCSE (grade B or above) or an undergraduate degree in a subject you wish to tutor at A level.
· Be able to spare 1 hour a week in school term time over the next academic year to tutor (starting Sept/Oct 2021), plus 30 mins a week preparation time.
· Be prepared to undertake an enhanced DBS check (criminal records check) and provide two references (personal or professional).
How does it work?
1. Sign up at www.theaccessproject.org.uk/volunteer
2. Sign up to any of our 2.5 hour training sessions over the summer, there are various dates so you can find one that suits you: During this session you’ll learn everything you need to know for your weekly 1 hour tutoring sessions.
3. You’ll complete a DBS check (criminal records check) and an online safeguarding course.
4. We’ll match you with a student who is looking for support in your subject. In particular, we are seeing high demand from our students for support with sciences and maths so volunteers who are able to support in maths and science subjects would be particularly welcome. There are also many opportunities for volunteer tutors in other subjects including humanities and languages.
More information and sign up at: https://www.theaccessproject.org.uk/volunteer