Part-time Virtual Korean Instructor
About OneWorld Now!
OneWorld Now! (OWN) is an educational nonprofit with almost 20 years of experience providing language instruction, leadership development, and study abroad opportunities to primarily low-income youth of color in the Seattle area – and across the country through online programs.
As part of our year-long after-school program, students can earn high school world language credit by studying Korean, Mandarin Chinese, Arabic, or Russian twice a week. They can also opt to participate in twice monthly Leadership workshops and apply to study abroad in South Korea, Morocco, or Russia.
OneWorld Now!’s vision is that all youth have access to transformative international education opportunities. To help ensure this, all OneWorld Now! programs are priced on a sliding scale based on family size and income.
OneWorld Now! is committed to using a framework of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion to support its youth, staff, and community and to consistently assess and improve its organizational structures and programming.
About the Role
OneWorld Now! is seeking an energetic, organized, and dedicated individual to join our program staff as a part-time virtual Korean Instructor for academic year 2021-22 (October – June). Whether you are a native, heritage, or second language speaker of Korean, this is a chance to share the language and culture you love with middle and high school students.
- Native, heritage, or second-language proficiency in Korean (Advanced Low or higher on the )
- Professional working proficiency in English
- Experience teaching Korean or another subject to young adults, youth, or children in the United States
- Experience with
- Interest in working with youth from diverse backgrounds, especially marginalized backgrounds
- Commitment to creating an equitable and inclusive classroom environment
- Adaptability, flexibility, and openness to feedback, learning, and growth
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to work legally in the United States without organizational sponsorship
The ideal candidate will possess some or all of the following characteristics:
- Experience teaching in the United States (Korean or another subject)
- Experience working with non-heritage learners of Korean
- Experience working with high school students in the United States
- Familiarity with national best practices in language pedagogy
- Ability to work independently or with a team as necessary
- Experience working with racially and economically diverse groups and marginalized communities, including immigrants and refugees, communities of color, working class communities, and LGBTQ+ populations
- Teach two sections of Korean 2 and one section of Korean 1 online
- Take attendance and perform other administrative functions associated with teaching
- Ensure student success by tracking student performance and following up with students as needed on missing assignments, classroom issues, and so on
- Attend OneWorld Now! teachers’ meetings as scheduled once per month
- Check in with the OneWorld Now! Language Program Manager at least once per month
- May have the opportunity to work on developing a Korean 3 curriculum
$30-$35/hour DOE for teaching, plus 1 hour of paid planning time per class per day.
4:30pm – 7:45pm Pacific Time Mondays and Wednesdays and 4:30pm – 6pm Pacific Time Tuesdays and Thursdays; meetings as scheduled.
Virtual; candidate may be located anywhere in the United States (though being located in the greater Seattle area is a plus) and must have US work authorization.
Deadline to apply
August 15, 2021. Start date is October 1 for orientation / training and October 18 for teaching.
Please upload your cover letter and resume at
OneWorld Now! is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We strongly encourage and seek applications from people of color, multilingual and multicultural individuals, and LGBTQ+ individuals. Assistance and/or reasonable accommodations during the application process are available to individuals upon request. To request assistance or accommodation, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org .