(ESP) is a nonprofit dedicated to decoding animal communication and translating non-human language.
We work with biologists and machine learning researchers, including luminaries from Cornell, Imperial College of London, Simons Institute, University of Oxford, MIT, UC Davis, Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute, and the Jane Goodall Institute.
We have the honor to be supported by some of the world’s most forward-looking philanthropists and groups, including the Internet Archive, and TED Audacious 2020, as a founding member of Project CETI, a seven-year multi-university collaboration. Our work has been the subject of NPR's Invisibilia documentary, “” and “ ” on Wall Street Journal’s The Future of Everything.
This earth-shot aims to enable every person to more deeply understand our co-inhabitants on Earth and in so doing, to permanently alter human perspective and culture.
The Earth Species Project is seeking an Operations Lead to help us carry out our mission. You’ll run the ship when it comes to creating the processes, systems, and ways of working across our organization. You’re a Swiss Army knife: versatile, strategic, and always doing something new. You’ve likely been part of an early-stage organization from the ground up before, and you thrive at transforming ideas into reality. You’re practical, great at creating thorough structures and plans, and wonderful at enrolling others to join you. You know how to work nimbly and responsively with the right level of structure to move quickly and unlock the rest of the team.
This role is full-time and fully remote.
- Lead operational excellence across the company, empowering the team with the resources, technology, and systems to do their work more efficiently, collaboratively, and seamlessly.
- Lead project management across many dynamic initiatives as we expand our vision.
- Keep the ESP leadership team focused on top priorities. Make sure we stay on track with what matters most while balancing a complex set of opportunities, challenges, and conversations.
- Manage our budget and make strategic recommendations on what we invest in.
- Drive recruiting efforts, making cases for which hires happen when and what the ideal candidate looks like, and then leading the search for this hire.
- Manage HR, vendors, bookkeeping, invoicing, and technology platforms, taking the lead on sourcing great solutions to run our internal infrastructure.
Skills, Qualifications, and Experience
- At least 4+ years of early stage organization experience, ideally as an operations director, product manager, chief of staff, or another strategic role.
- Very strong project management skills. You’ll be keeping our whole leadership team on track, as well as many projects.
- Lean startup mindset with a piercing curiosity and interest in experimentation and first principles thinking. You care less about what’s always been done and more about the best path forward.
- High emotional intelligence: self-awareness, feedback skills, listening skills, growth mindset, and the ability to collaboratively problem solve.
- Nice to have: experience creating newsletters and social media
- Nice to have: a passion for conservation, environmentalism, or social impact.
- Competitive pay, health insurance, and ample PTO.
- Work with top biologists and conservation luminaries.
- Work remotely anywhere in the world: our team spans the Bay Area, Hawaii, Utah, and Miami.
- Opportunities to spend time in the field with the animals we study (for example, kayaking with feeding humpbacks in Alaska; freediving with sperm whales in Tonga; visiting Gelada monkeys in Ethiopia).
The salary for this role is $90K-$120K commensurate with experience.
The Earth Species Project is a globally distributed team endeavoring to make a global and social impact. Creating a culture where all can thrive and be their authentic self is essential to our mission. We believe our success depends on our diversity and fostering an inclusive environment that supports creativity and innovation. As an organization we are committed to promoting equity and belonging both in our work and in our workplace environment. We are committed to equal employment opportunities regardless of race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, pregnancy, sexual orientation, marital status, ancestry, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status. We also consider qualified applicants with criminal histories, consistent with legal requirements.
To apply, please fill out this form: