Senior Associate, Deep Organizing States
Summary: This is a tremendous opportunity to do meaningful work during a high stakes time for the climate. Mothers Out Front is seeking a dynamic and creative organizer to provide exceptional support to the Deep Organizing department and serve as a strategic thought partner to the Organizing Director for Deep Organizing States. The Senior Associate, Deep Organizing States will work collaboratively to grow the deep organizing program into the national powerhouse that is needed for mothers’ power to ensure a livable climate for all children. This position will report to the Organizing Director for Deep Organizing States and work in collaboration with the Organizing Management Team , other organizing and cross-department staff and member leaders to refine and grow an organizing program that supports the team in achieving it’s organizing and campaign goals and in furthering the department’s vision, impact and efficiency. The ideal candidate is someone who is passionate about building the power of mothers at the local, state, and national level, and learning in action how to effectively build a movement across race and class.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Support the development and implementation of systems and practices needed for organizers and organizing leadership nationwide to be successful in Deep Organizing communities and to develop as leaders.
- Track opportunities and challenges on the ground and explore new tools to enhance organizing, as needed; ensure organizers are trained and supported in using the appropriate tools to reach desired outcomes.
- Ensure strong cross-department collaboration with our Distributed Organizing, Communications, Training & Learning, Data, and Operations teams.
- Monitor campaign progress, including the compiling and analyzing of campaign data, outcomes, and effectiveness of organizing strategies and prepare reports for organizational purposes such as grant reports, internal newsletters, or campaign strategy development sessions.
- Develop and lead a collaborative process for the organizing team to reflect on and assess the degree to which we are effectively leading climate justice campaigns in 2022.
- Schedule and manage key organizing meetings that ensure collaboration, member participation, and external opportunities are happening. Including speaking engagements, coalition meetings, donor meetings, and member-related activities.
- Conduct research, as needed, such as tracking allied organizations’ campaigns, gathering background on decision-makers, drafting memos and concept papers on relevant policy issues.
- Assist with logistics for virtual or Covid-safe in-person convenings, as needed.
Experience and Attributes
- Two to three years of experience in community organizing, union organizing, political organizing, and/ or legislative issue advocacy experience required
- Experience creating systems and tools in distributed organizing settings
- Excellent communication skills and ability to share a vision
- A passion for social and environmental justice, and commitment to addressing climate change
- Multicultural competence and demonstrated ability to work with people from a variety of ethnic, racial, socio-economic, educational, linguistic, and religious backgrounds, as well as people of various physical abilities, sexual orientations, gender identities, and generations
- Excellent relationship building skills and experience working effectively with staff groups, volunteers and members
- Prior experience supporting senior level management
On the careers page of our website () please submit your resume, a cover letter that discusses this position, and answers to the two questions on the application.
About Mothers Out Front:
Mothers Out Front builds our power as mothers to ensure a livable climate for all children. We are building a diverse national movement of mothers, grandmothers, and caregivers dedicated to convincing elected officials and business leaders to work for a swift, complete, and just transition away from fossil fuels to clean and renewable energy. We know that mothers have an important role to play in the climate change movement, and, when it comes to protecting their children, mothers are an unstoppable force for change! Our goal is simple: to enable mothers to take active leadership in climate change work by providing the structure, training, and tools for them to work together on campaigns in their communities and at the statewide level. Founded in 2013, we are a member-led, national organization, with a current operating budget of $4.3m. We have staff working in twelve states and are a fast growing organization with no plans of slowing down.
Mothers Out Front is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, people of color, members of the LGBTQ community, and members of other historically disenfranchised groups are especially welcome and encouraged to apply.