Action Network DevOps Security Engineer
Action Network Developer Operations and Security Engineer
Do you feel that any job worth doing is worth automating? Do you know how to manage dozens or hundreds or thousands of servers in your sleep? Do you believe that incidents that cause pages should be treated as bugs and fixed so they never happen again? Can you patch fleets of machines and fix application vulnerabilities without breaking a sweat? If so, we’d love to hear from you!
Action Squared is a fast-growing, nonprofit-owned B2B SaaS provider, with two web-based toolsets on the market serving the progressive nonprofit sector in the US and worldwide. We partner with the most important and impactful organizations -- including the Democratic National Committee, the AFL-CIO, Daily Kos, and others -- to deliver best-in-class tools at scale to help build the progressive movement. Our toolsets powered the Women’s March, the organizing campaign in Amazon warehouses in Bessemer, Alabama, and thousands of other digital and organizing campaigns great and small. 100% cloud-native from the start, we seek an experienced engineer to join our growing engineering team.
The developer operations and security engineer will work across our toolsets to deliver improved infrastructure, tooling, automation, and security. Specifically, the role will focus on:
- Optimizing cloud infrastructure for ease of deployment, testing, updating, and management.
- Tooling for local deployment, test running, continuous integration/continuous deployment, and other internal tasks.
- Autoscaling and automation to optimize infrastructure and cloud resources for stability and cost control.
- Improving automated processes for upgrading servers, software, and dependencies with respect to security patches.
- Finding, triaging, investigating, and remediating security vulnerabilities in infrastructure, operating systems, dependencies, and our software applications.
- Other potential responsibilities may include working with outside security researchers and vendors, managing security service contracts, and managing a bug bounty program.
A successful candidate will have experience in developer operations, infrastructure automation, continuous integration and delivery, and web application security, including two to three years of experience with the following:
- Cloud platform developer operations (infrastructure deployment, sysadmin/devops workloads, containerized deployment, etc…) on AWS (EC2, RDS/Aurora, Elasticbeanstalk, etc…) or similar public clouds.
- Setting up and maintaining continuous integration/deployment tools (Buddy.works, Travis, etc…), local and containerized deployment tools (Docker or similar), and testing tools (rspec, headless browsers, unit/integration/end to end testing, etc…).
- Cloud autoscaling and automation, including capacity planning and autoscaling of server and database resources on AWS (EC2 autoscaling, RDS/Aurora autoscaling, Elasticbeanstalk, Chef, Docker, Kubernetes, etc…) or similar public clouds.
- Web application and API security, including finding, triaging, and fixing security bugs, automating infrastructure, operating system, and dependency security updates, and managing outside security resources such as security monitoring software and bug bounty programs.
Action Squared engineering is a small but mighty team, proud to get more done on time and on budget than larger teams due to our entire organization’s approach to collaborative technology development. Technological roadmaps are developed in close coordination with our largest users, and toolsets are developed with a sense of focus on doing one thing well, ensuring deliverables and timelines are clear, feature and requirement creep are nonexistent, and our products do what they are supposed to do. Engineers have clear expectations for their work and are able to work independently in the context of small, functional teams. This position would report to the Director of Technology, who leads the engineering team and collaborate with the two sub-teams that work on each of our toolsets.
In practice, this means:
- Flexible hours -- we don’t expect you to work a set schedule or number of hours per week, but rather collaborate effectively with your team to deliver your assignments on time and on budget, though some overlap with core teamwork hours (9 am - 5 pm US Eastern) is expected.
- Asynchronous work environment -- communication is largely handled through tickets and Slack, work is portioned out into achievable and independent items, and engineers are clear on what they are working on at any given time, and can achieve progress independently.
- Small-team collaboration -- small teams mean natural collaboration and support, without the bureaucracy of useless meetings, chains of command, multiple levels of management, and the like.
- High impact -- our toolsets operate at a global scale and are used by the most cutting edge and sophisticated cause-based progressive organizations. Your work will power progressive victories around the world.
Salary and Benefits
This position has a salary range of $90,000-$105,000/year, commensurate with your experience. This position reports to the Director of Technology. The position is within the Nonprofit Professional Employees Union structure.
In addition, we offer:
- Remote work with a great team of like-minded progressives
- 100% paid medical, dental, and vision for family
- Unlimited vacation time
- 401k grant
- Monthly technology stipend
- Health and wellness allowance
- Professional development benefits
- The satisfaction of supporting so many progressives in creating real change
What We Believe In
Action Network is committed to cultivating a culture of inclusion and connectedness. We are able to grow and learn better together with a diverse team of employees. The collective sum of the individual differences, life experiences, knowledge, innovation, self-expression, and talent that our employees invest in their work represents not only part of our culture, but our reputation. In recruiting for our team, we welcome the unique contributions that you can bring in terms of your education, opinions, culture, ethnicity, race, sex, gender identity and expression, nation of origin, age, languages spoken, veteran’s status, color, religion, disability, sexual orientation and beliefs.
Woman-identifying persons, people of color, people with disabilities, veterans, and LGBTQ candidates are strongly encouraged to apply. Action Squared is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to diversity in the workplace.
Send a resume and cover letter to: https://actionsquared.bamboohr.com/jobs/view.php?id=26