Engineering Manager, Machine Learning Platform
Coinbase has built the world's leading compliant cryptocurrency platform serving over 30 million accounts in more than 100 countries. With multiple successful products, and our vocal advocacy for blockchain technology, we have played a major part in mainstream awareness and adoption of cryptocurrency. We are proud to offer an entire suite of products that are helping build the cryptoeconomy and increase economic freedom around the world.
There are a few things we look for across all hires we make at Coinbase, regardless of role or team. First, we look for signals that a candidate will thrive in alike ours, where we default to trust, embrace feedback, disrupt ourselves, and expect sustained high performance because we play as a championship team. Second, we expect all employees to commit to our to our work. Finally, we seek people with the desire and capacity to build and share expertise in the frontier technologies of crypto and blockchain, in whatever way is most relevant to their role.
We are looking for an experienced Engineering Manager to lead a skilled and growing team of engineers to develop our Machine Learning Platform. The team is responsible for building Nostradamus, an end to end ML first system to deliver our in-house-built models. Enabling ML Engineers to iterate on, train at scale and productionize models at lightning speed.
What you’ll be doing (ie. job duties):
- Lead and grow team(s) of Machine Learning Platform software engineers specializing in infrastructure, toolings, high-performance computing and big data technologies
- Develop the vision and technology roadmap for Machine Learning at Coinbase
- Own the craftsmanship, reliability, and scalability of your solutions
- Mentor and guide the professional and technical development of engineers on your team, and continuously improve software engineering practices
- Hire top performing engineering talent and maintaining our commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Collaborate with and across teams to design, build, and ship reliable systems which scale to Coinbase’s need
- Establish well-defined critical metrics and motivate and manage the team to achieve goals
- Strong data platform and processing background.
- BS or MS in Computer Science or a related technical field, or equivalent experience
- 7+ years of total software development experience
- 5+ years of experience in infrastructure, distributed systems, high performance computing and/or Big Data software engineering
- 4+ years of managing individual contributors across all levels
- Experienced production user of various traditional and deep learning frameworks such as Sklearn, XGboost , Tensorflow, PyTorch, , etc.
- Great understanding on ML ecosystems from data, modeling to development.
- Proven experience to lead and implement end to end machine learning first platform to accelerate ML development.
- Ability to define and drive multi-quarters roadmap and proven record to lead teams through ambiguity and deliver results.
- Proven record on building and growing strong teams.
- Ability to apply technical knowledge in evaluating sophisticated data and projects and providing recommendations to resolve sophisticated technical issues
- Open source experience is a huge bonus
Commitment to Equal Opportunity
Coinbase is committed to diversity in its workforce and is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, creed, gender, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, sex, gender expression or identity, sexual orientation or any other basis protected by applicable law. Coinbase will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with applicable federal, state and local law. For US applicants, you may view, and notices by clicking on their corresponding links. Additionally, Coinbase participates in the in certain locations, as required by law.
Coinbase is also committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you need a reasonable accommodation because of a disability for any part of the employment process, please send an e-mail to accommodations@ coinbase.com and let us know the nature of your request and your contact information. For quick access to screen reading technology compatible with this sitea free compatible screen reader . Please contact accommodations@ coinbase.com for additional information or to request accommodations.
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here:, , and . By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.