Social Media Community Engagement Lead
Do you want to level up your career? And help create an inspiring future of politics for America? Then this is for you.
We need a new way forward. We all know this—whether we’re on the left, on the right, in the middle, or completely checked out. Our mission is to free America from parties and politicians, and make it so government finally does right by its people. The key to this is replacing elections with democratic lotteries. More at www.joinofbyfor.org.
So far we’ve been featured in FastCompany, Axios, Mic, and Malcom Gladwell’s Revisionist History podcast. Later this year, we’re having a national public launch around the release of a first-of-its-kind documentary that will provide a glimpse of our vision. It will show the inspiring journey of citizen representatives, selected by lottery, working across difference to find common ground around COVID—while another divisive election tore the country farther apart.
ABOUT THE ROLE
Your mission would be to use social media to build an engaged community of supporters who amplify our vision online. You’d be building out our social media channels from scratch by seeking out and nurturing one-on-one connections with new people. The first major focus would be working toward our national public launch later this year, centered on the release of a unique, feature-length documentary.
We’re looking for someone who thrives on building relationships and influencing conversations on the internet. You should have hands-on experience with organic growth and (unpaid) influencer engagement.
This role would NOT require producing original content or running ads. Nor does it require any experience with politics (in fact, that's preferred).
• A people person. You thrive off of connecting and forming relationships with others—especially online. You might have a customer success, hospitality, or community-building background.
• A strong copywriter
• Equipped with a great sense of humor
• A fan and follower of pop culture
• Atuned to the unique culture and trends of each social media platform
• Eager to embrace and experiment with emerging social media platforms
• Up-to-date on the latest industry trends and tools
• Experienced enough with 3+ years of relevant work
YOU WILL (working closely with our team):
• Engage 1-1 online every day with our existing supporters and seek out new ones
• Look for ways to insert ourselves into relevant existing conversations online and start new ones
• Research, identify, and connect with relevant micro-influencers
(This involve monitoring hashtags, commenting on people's posts, replying to replies, sending DMs, etc)
• Eventually, support and coach teams of volunteers to expand this relational outreach
• Manage our content posting and monitor its performance.
• Collaborate alongside organizing and content teammates to ensure everyone’s work is aligned and mutually reinforcing
We’re a remote team of four growing to six. You’d report directly to the co-CEOs, and would play a significant role in helping shape the growth of the organization.
We provide a single salary across the organization for all roles – $68,000 / year. This creates an environment of true camaraderie. It’s tied to the distribution of income in America, not market rates. And we offer solid benefits including health insurance coverage, paid time off, childcare support, and paid parental leave. We strive to create a work environment where people from all walks of life feel welcome, supported, and that they belong.
We encourage people from all kinds of backgrounds to apply. You’d have to be able to fully commit to putting your personal politics and ego aside and putting democracy first. You’d have to be ready to work closely with people from all walks of life and across the political spectrum who hold very different views from you on substantive issues.