Food Pantry Board President (Volunteer)
Centre Street Food Pantry in Newton is looking for a new President of our board to help steer our growing pantry over the next several years. Established 10 years ago, Centre Street serves residents of Newton, Waltham, Brighton and surrounding communities and provides food to approximately 800 households a month - 4,000 bags and about 60,000 pounds of food. The President of the Board is critical in ensuring that Centre Street continues to meet our mission of providing families within our community with consistent access to nutritious food in a dignified, sensitive and inclusive environment.
We are looking for a candidate with previous non-profit board and community leadership experience who has creativity, vision and the ability to work well with all types of people. The President of the Board will lead our organization as we continue to implement our strategic objectives based on a plan that was developed in 2021. Specifically, the President of the Board:
- Leads the Board of 12 members to carry out its governance functions effectively and ensure sound and compliant oversight of the organization
- Partners with the Pantry Manager to help ensure the Board’s directives, policies, and resolutions are carried out.
- Sets priorities and leads Board meetings
- Sets goals and objectives for the board and ensures that they are met
- Leads the board’s strategic planning efforts.
- Appoints all Committee Chairs and ensures that all board members are involved in committee activities and periodically meets with committees.
- Participate on one or more committees.
- Works with the Governance Committee to recruit new board members, assuring ongoing nominations, and the development of the board.
- Negotiates compensation and benefits package for staff members
- Acts as a spokesperson for the organization and represents the Centre Street Food Pantry in the community through relationships with key stakeholders.
- Oversees all fundraising efforts to ensure that the organization remains financially strong.
The President must live in one of the 8 towns that the pantry serves: Newton, Waltham, Brighton, Brookline, West Roxbury, Watertown, Needham, Wellesley. We are interested in meeting candidates from diverse backgrounds.
The Centre Street Food Pantry is committed to actively addressing diversity, equity and inclusion with the following actions:
- Initiating outreach efforts to connect with and gain feedback from people who represent all the communities that we serve.
- Developing a recruitment strategy to include more people of color on our board, staff and among our volunteers.
- Exploring how to best use our resources to alleviate food insecurity for the most vulnerable in our communities in ways that embrace diversity, equity and inclusion.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume toor , President of the Board.