Zapier's Data Operations team is looking for several exceptional Data Engineers to join our team. Data Ops supercharges Zapier by making data and data tools useful, accessible, and reliable. We use data to enrich Zapier’s understanding of the needs and behavior of users, customers and partners. Through data insights and products we uncover new strategic opportunities, drive faster user-centric decisions, and make Zapier’s products smarter. If you're interested in helping grow a product that helps the world automate their work so they can get back to living? Then read on…
To help share a bit more about life at Zapier, here are a few resources in addition to the job description that can give you an inside look at what life is like at Zapier:
Zapier is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
- You are a skilled written communicator. Zapier is a 100% remote team and writing is our primary means of communication. You communicate complex technical topics clearly and in an approachable way.
- You’re innovative, able to ideate and autonomously drive forward improvements to data pipelines that you own, end-to-end.
- You’re technically competent with Python, including at least one SQL dialect - they’re all about the same; we happen to use Redshift.
- You care about the details, and understand that without high quality instrumentation we suffer from messy data and wasted time.
- You’re experienced in defining and analysing large, complex datasets, finding actionable business solutions to loosely defined problems.
- You enjoy collaboration and knowledge sharing. You appreciate our team’s values of eagerness to collaborate with teammates with any level of statistical knowledge, iterating over your deliverables, and being curious.
- You understand that perfect is the enemy of good. You will default to action by initially shipping solutions that simply work and work simply, while iterating as needed.
Things You Might Do
Zapier is a small, fast-growing, and remote-first company, so you'll likely get experience on many different projects across the organization. That said, here are some things you'll probably do:
- Zapier is a fast-growing and remote-first company, so you'll get experience on many different projects to support our stakeholders. Here are some things you might get to help our teams with:
- Develop CI/CD pipelines for complex long running applications
- Build internal tooling, applications and libraries
- Ensure accurate tracking of FE/BE events
- Tools you’ll probably use include AWS Redshift, Looker, Matillion ETL, Airflow, Python, Pandas, SQL, Kafka, Druid.
- As a part of Zapier's , help customers via support to ensure they have the best experience possible.
Data at Zapier
Zapier relies on dozens of systems that emit data about Zapier and our potential and current users and partners. This data is useful for us to make a better product, better decisions, and understand our weaknesses and opportunities. The data team at Zapier pulls this data from DBs, APIs, and event streams, collocates it and then processes it through all the disparate systems to bring them together in a reliable, timely, performant, and easy to understand way to employees and systems that need it.
Within the data team we're made up of several subteams: Data Ops focusing on data infrastructure and storage, compute, ingest, and dimensional modeling; Data Products focusing on building statistical and ML tools and models; Data Governance focused on promoting data reuse through tools, schema, collaboration and education; and Data Insights that focuses on exposing the data in useful and self-service form.
Our stack is best summed up by: AWS Redshift (and the related AWS products: Glue, Redshift Spectrum, S3), Looker, Airflow, Matillion ETL, Kafka, and NiFi. We mostly use Python, but we're not exclusive -- you’ll find some Rust here and there.
Since 2011, Zapier has been helping people across the world automate the boring and tedious parts of their job. We do that by helping everyone connect the web applications they already use and love.
We believe that there are jobs a computer is best at doing and that there are jobs a human is best at doing. We want to empower businesses to create processes and systems that let computers do what they are best at doing and let humans do what they are best at doing.
We believe that with the right tools, you can have big impact with less hassle.
We believe in small teams. Small teams are fast and nimble. Small teams mean less bureaucracy and less management and more getting things done.
We believe in a safe, welcoming, and inclusive environment. All teammates at Zapier agree to a.
The Whole Package
Location: Planet Earth.
Our team of 350+ is distributed because it lets us work with the best people. You don't have to be located in the USA either. Some team members live in the United Kingdom, Thailand, India, Nigeria, Taiwan, Guatemala, New Zealand, Australia, and more! You just need the skills and drive to succeed in this role and the ability to work from anywhere.
- Competitive salary (we pay based on the norms of your country)
- Great healthcare + dental + vision coverage*
- Retirement plan with 4% company match*
- 2 annual company retreats to awesome places
- 14 weeks paid leave for new parents of biological or adopted children
- Pick your own equipment. We'll set you up with whatever Apple laptop + monitor combo you want plus any software you need.
- Unlimited vacation policy. Plus we require you to take at least 2 weeks off each year. We see most employees take 4-5 weeks off per year. This isn't a vague policy where unlimited vacation means no vacation.
- Work with awesome companies around the world. We partner with great software companies all over the world and you'll constantly get to
*While we take care of our international folks as best we can, currently, healthcare and retirement plans are only available to US, Canadian-, and UK-based employees.
How To Apply
We have a non-standard application process. To jump-start the process we ask a few questions we normally would ask at the start of an interview. This helps speed up the process and lets us get to know you a bit better right out of the gate.
After you apply, you are going to hear back from us, even if we don't seem like a good fit. In fact, throughout the process, we strive to make sure you never go more than seven days without hearing from us.
Optional:to help us better track trends related to the backgrounds of candidates interested in working at Zapier in order for us to build a team that represents the users at Zapier and the broader world population.
Zapier is an equal opportunity employer. We're excited to work with talented and empathetic people no matter their race, color, gender, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, physical or mental disability, or age. Ourprovides a beacon for the kind of company we strive to be, and we celebrate our differences because those differences are what allow us to make a product that serves a global user base.