Coach, School Design
Multiple positions available
ABOUT THE ORGANIZATION
EL Education is redefining student achievement in diverse communities across the country, ensuring that all students master rigorous content, develop positive character, and produce high-quality work. We create great public schools where they are needed most, inspiring teachers and students to achieve more than they thought possible.
EL Education’s portfolio of instructional materials and coaching services draws on decades of deep partnership with schools and districts in our national school network—those implementing our school model—and in our family of literacy partners—those implementing our Language Arts curriculum.
Based on our founding principles of meaningful work, character, and respect for teachers, EL Education’s offerings transform teaching and learning to promote habits of scholarship and character that lead to high student achievement. In addition to success on standardized tests, EL Education students demonstrate critical thinking, intellectual courage, and emotional resilience; they possess the passion and the capacity to contribute to a better world.
EL Education, a 501c(3) nonprofit, was founded in 1992 by Outward Bound USA in collaboration with the Harvard Graduate School of Education.
For more information, visit
ABOUT THE POSITION
The Coach, School Design acts as the strategic thought-partner and capacity builder for a school's leadership team. School Designers play an integral role toward our goals with partners, impact educator effectiveness, and improve student achievement through the implementation of the EL Education Core Practices and EL Education’s Design Principles. This position includes strategic and tactical support to districts and schools in implementing student-engaged assessment practices, as well as EL Education’s K-2 ELA Curriculum and edition 2 Grades 3-8 ELA Curriculums. The School Designer works with a portfolio of schools, collaborating with a team of EL Education coaches and regional leadership. The School Designer position is an ideal opportunity for someone to play an active role in a growing and dynamic organization that is committed to helping students across the U.S. attain high levels of academic achievement in essential knowledge and skills, high-quality work, and character.
Diverse candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
School-based Professional Development and Leadership Support
- Work alongside school leaders and lead teachers to identify needs and assets, and develop strategic plans to reach goals through implementation of EL Education Core Practices
- Support teachers and leaders to organize and develop high-quality curriculum aligned to standards and EL Core Practices
- Coach by implementing active and engaging instructional practices that promote equity and high expectations for all learners
- Establish practices that cultivate a strong school culture and foster character development
- Guide school leadership in developing systems and structures to support sustained school improvement through continuous improvement cycles anchored in EL Education Core Practices and equity pillars
- Design strategic and customized professional development and coaching cycles to support specific partner goals and build leadership capacity
District-level Professional Development
- Implement EL Education’s Grades K-8 Literacy and included the embedded instructional and assessment practices
- Support school leaders when engaging district-level leaders in their site-based improvement process
- Provide strategic, multi-year planning support to district and CMO leaders in collaboration with the leadership team
- Design and lead high-quality, engaging professional development, in collaboration with internal team members, that support educators in leadership development
Program Implementation and Facilitation
- Support implementation and delivery of EL professional development aligned to the new learning standards and other best practices in multiple formats:
- Face-to-face professional institutes agenda development and facilitation
- Online/blended professional development agenda development and facilitation
- Co-creating agendas, supporting materials, videos, webinars, etc.
- Other responsibilities to be assigned as needed
- Work as a member of a high-functioning internal team
- Develop creative, interactive face-to-face and virtual experiences during regional team meetings that model the engagement and practices expected in EL Education classrooms
- Ensure professional quality through sharing successes and challenges, an open response to feedback and application of new learning
- Collaborate with colleagues to solve problems of practice, create efficiencies, and commit to an organizational norm to continual improvement
- Manage and maintain data and results related to service delivery and impact
- Maintain stakeholder records related to types of services provided
- Collect and/ or support data collection related to program satisfaction and impact
- Communicate effectively with partners regarding services provided
- Maintain accurate personal records including but not limited to direct service and planning within Salesforce (customer relationship management system) and entering expenses in the expense management system
A successful candidate will have:
- A passion for EL Education’s mission and proven commitment to diversity, equity and inclusive practices
- 5 years+ classroom teaching experience, preferably in EL Education or similar schools in an urban and/or rural setting
- Significant experience in with leading school start-up and/or reform efforts, advancing equity initiatives, continuous improvement and organizational change
- Remarkable leadership qualities, national caliber presentation, facilitation, and organizational skills, and personal characteristics to work effectively with educators of all backgrounds
- Self-directed, data-informed, and proactive in coming to solutions for complex organizational and conceptual challenges
- Exceptional organizational skills, with an ability to manage multiple tasks and projects simultaneously and thrive in an entrepreneurial, fast-paced environment
- Strong background in reading and writing across the content areas, data-driven planning, and project-based learning
- Strong communication and collaboration skills, with a record of high performance in a variety of roles on teams
- Proven experience and deep craft in the development and delivery of professional development for adult learners
- Experience with or enthusiasm for working with virtual teams across different geographical sites
- Capacity and willingness to learn and apply quickly
- A high degree of integrity, flexibility, growth mindset, and curiosity
- Willingness to travel up to 40% and work flexible hours (e.g. ability to work and travel some weekends with comp days in return)
- Familiarity with the EL Education instructional model and core practices, preferred
- A Master's degree in education, education leadership, or related field, preferred
- Proven experience in Primary (grades K-2) and Intermediate Level literacy instruction, multilingual learners and/or learners with special needs, preferred
- Experience with school or district leadership roles, preferred
Competitive compensation and benefits package commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Applications will be reviewed until the position is filled.
Please submit your resume and one page cover letter in MS Word or PDF format by applying on our. In your cover letter, identify the position for which you are applying and how you heard of the job opening and EL Education.
No phone calls please. EL Education will respond only to finalist candidates.
ANTI-DISCRIMINATION POLICY AND COMMITMENT TO DIVERSITY
EL Education seeks individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position. As an equal opportunity employer committed to racial equity and social justice, we make a particular effort to recruit people who identify as Black, Indigenous, and people of color, and want to engage all those who can contribute to this effort.
EL Education provides equal employment opportunities for all applicants and employees and prohibits discrimination with respect to the hiring or promotion of individuals, conditions of employment, disciplinary and discharge practices, or any other aspect of employment on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin or citizenship status, age, religion, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy and parental status, HIV status, gender identity and expression, status with regard to public assistance, status as a veteran, or physical or mental disability or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision. EOE
VEVRAA Federal Contractor