New York Volunteer Leadership Manager
Have you ever asked yourself, “How can I help?” or “How can I make a difference?”, but you don’t know where to go or have the time to do it? Welcome to The Nature Conservancy. You have found the solution and now you can pointedly make a difference every day!
By joining our New York team, you will become part of a group that is a force to be reckoned with; a force for nature, a force for people, and a force for our planet. We are making a difference every day through our boots on the ground conservation work, voices raised for public policy advocacy, and building local community engagement and partnerships. Our team consists of a dedicated group who are leading the conservation effort on multiple fronts and who expertly bring strategy and action together. To be successful this team relies on a strong support structure – and our office managers are integral to this success.
The New York Volunteer Leadership Manager is responsible for supporting the engaging, productive, and rewarding collaboration between the Conservancy’s New York Team (led by the Executive Director) and the volunteer leaders of the New York Board of Trustees and the New York Leadership Council. It is through this collaboration that The Nature Conservancy in New York can fulfill its mission and goals. The Volunteer Leadership Manager works very closely with the New York Executive Director, serving as liaison to the approximately 30 trustees of the Conservancy’s New York Board and the 40+ members of the New York Leadership Council. The Volunteer Leadership Manager organizes engaging events designed for the members of the New York Board and Leadership Council (meetings, conservation briefings, impromptu fora on various topics, retreats, trips (including occasional international trips), and other special events. They serve as events manager for board activities and provide support functions such as research, brief development, writing, stewardship of some board members, and other duties as assigned. They work closely with the Chairs of the New York Board and Leadership Council, as well as the Board’s Chair of the Committee on Trustees. The Nature Conservancy in New York provides invaluable local to global leadership for the entire organization, the New York Board is considered one of the strongest and most diverse in the Conservancy, and the New York Volunteer Leadership Manager has a critical role to play in supporting the partnership between the team and volunteer leaders to drive mission success.
The NY Volunteer Leadership Manager will be someone who has strong organizational skills, is detail oriented, and enjoys working with others. They understand the value of both ownership and teamwork in obtaining successful outcomes. We appreciate collaborate approaches and encourage innovative ideas and recommendations.
Skills & Experience
- Bachelor’s degree and 3 years related experience or equivalent combination
- Experience generating reports, and analyzing and interpreting data
- Experience managing the schedule and contacts of a senior leader
- Experience with database management
- Experience working across departments
- Multi-lingual skills and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experiences are appreciated
- Ability to implement complex processes
- Ability to use existing technology to achieve desired results
- Demonstrated experience using diplomacy and tact to build strong relationships and motivate staff
- Experience coordinating projects
- Experience interpreting guidelines to achieve desired results
- Experience supervising staff, interns and/or volunteers
- Strong organization skills, accuracy, attention to detail and ability to manage multiple tasks
- Successful experience implementing strategic program goals