Vice President of Personnel
Elevate is a grant-writing firm that works with nearly 100 nonprofit organizations around the country. Our team of 60 full-time staff has extensive experience with grant writing, prospect identification and research, as well as crafting meaningful cultivation, stewardship, and resource development strategies.
We are pleased to be hiring a Vice President of Personnel to join our 4-person management team. This newly-created position will also add executive-level capacity and leadership to our 6-person Operations Department. This role is ideal for a leader who shares Elevate’s vision that progress is possible and that nonprofits are essential to achieving social justice and helping communities thrive.
Ideal candidates will be an established Human Resources (HR) professional who understands how solid Personnel and HR policies, practices, and procedures allow staff to do their best work.
We are a relatively-young organization, founded in 2013. The focus of this position is running our Personnel department and leading organizational development projects that enhance our talent and culture management. Specifically, we are seeking someone who will:
- Provide day-to-day oversight over Elevate’s Personnel department;
- Partner with Elevate’s Personnel team, supervisors, senior leadership and full staff to incorporate equity, inclusion, diversity, and anti-racism into our internal work and how we work with clients.
- Lead our efforts to transition to a more distributed workforce due to the COVID-19 pandemic, including implementing organizational initiatives that foster remote community, providing additional training on virtual work, and supporting our staff as we work remotely.
- Coordinate organizational-wide training and professional development initiatives, aligned with a strengths-based approach and growth-oriented mindset.
- Supervise twice-annual full staff performance reviews, including reviewing existing processes and tools and refining them in accordance with our values and emerging research in HR.
- Foster a positive, creative, and affirming culture.
As Elevate’s Vice President of Personnel, you will:
- Serve as a member of Elevate’s Executive team, cultivating strong relationships across the organization; leading organizational development projects; providing operational oversight; contributing to an inclusive and high-performing management team; and facilitating long-range planning;
- Run Elevate’s Personnel department, which sets Personnel policies, and administers all pay and benefits for staff across multiple states. This includes supervising Elevate’s Human Resources & Operations Assistant and providing oversight on personnel-related administrative activities. Elevate uses BambooHR as an HRIS; Lattice for performance reviews and growth; and Paychex for payroll.
- Review Elevate’s existing competency framework, career pathways, and performance development processes and work with supervisors to ensure they meet Elevate’s business goals, which include high performance and equity and inclusivity;
- Oversee Elevate’s twice-annual performance review cycles for client-facing staff, supervising staff, and operations staff;
- Develop strategies for attracting, developing, and retaining diverse personnel through the implementation of talent and culture initiatives, in partnership with staff and leadership.
- Establish a long-term recruitment strategy; train and support hiring leads in running a recruiting and interview process that ensures a diverse candidate pool, equitable hiring practices, and consistency across different positions;
- Review and refine Elevate’s existing onboarding processes, with direct supervisors, in order to build new staff skills and knowledge and strengthens Elevate’s values and culture;
- Establish goals and metrics to monitor progress of Elevate’s Personnel-related priorities, including working with Elevate’s Human Resources & Operations Assistant to track, analyze and report on recruitment efforts, internal advancement, turnover rates, and equity;
- Facilitate opportunities for professional growth through a variety of learning opportunities, including managing Elevate’s organization-wide training calendar; monthly internal cross-role group trainings for all staff; Elevate’s annual professional development stipends; and consistent micro-trainings for staff;
- Ensure all organizational Personnel & HR policies and practices comply with legal requirements in multiple states; and also align with Elevates’ business goals and commitments.
Ideal candidates will:
- Be a SHRM-certified HR professional with experience working at similarly-sized nonprofits or businesses;
- Bring significant operations and organizational development expertise;
- Have a demonstrated record managing staff and building collaborative and high-performing teams;
- Have experience building culture in a way that provides greater communication, coordination, and cohesion across diverse functions and teams;
- Have a strong track record of successful project management;
- Have training in organizational design, or experience with organizational growth and change projects;
- Have experience leading talent, culture management, or DEI projects at a nonprofit or small business; and
- Have exceptional interpersonal communication skills, both verbal and written, and the ability to connect with staff at all levels—within a virtual work environment.
Note that we are hiring full time salaried staff who can work virtually for the next 6-12 months. At the conclusion of the pandemic, we anticipate returning to some form of in-person work in the metro Washington, D.C. region and therefore have a slight preference for staff either who are currently working in or open to moving to this area. However, we will work with all personnel hired during the pandemic to ensure any future changes to our current remote work policies do not negatively impact your employment.
Elevate provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment, without regard to race, creed, ancestry, citizenship, religion, color, gender, gender identity, gender expression, family responsibilities, age, national origin, political affiliation, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as a victim of domestic violence, marital status, disability, personal appearance or any other protected characteristic or status under applicable federal, state and local laws. If you require reasonable accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) for any part of the application process, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
To apply: Please submit a resume and cover letter through Elevate's BambooHR application portal.
NOTE: We use BambooHR to communicate with our applicants throughout the hiring process. Please take a moment to add emails from @app.bamboohr.com as a safe sender before submitting your application. If you do not, emails may be directed to your spam folder, or may not reach you at all.