FOLLOW THE LINK TO APPLY!
Nonprofit startup seeks crackerjack of all trades to work with the founder on building out a universe of fun, interactive activities that small groups can do together online to form a community to focus on saving our democracy.
Saving democracy? Seriously?
Reasonable question. We’ll get to that. The ideal candidate is someone who is technically adventurous, a great script writer, has impressive experience shooting and editing video, and knows how to organize group events. We are in the early days and are looking for a smart, passionate to help our growing, ambitious team.
Let’s get back to the saving democracy part.
Well, we are on the way to proving that the vast majority of Americans (over 90%) share MANY of the same goals for the country. If that sounds crazy, then here’s an example: we demonize each other over gun control legislation, but gun control isn’t the goal, it’s a tactic. Reducing violence is the goal, and most all of us want that. We don’t realize that for most political issues we’re just arguing about tactics.
Our journey begins with an experience we call “The Unify Challenge.” Americans who are outside each other’s bubbles get together online and take a survey to help uncover how we not only share the same goals, but are grossly misinformed about the intentions of people “on the other side.” At the end of the Unify Challenge, we ask the pairs of “new friends,” if they’d like to continue to meet to do more engaging wisdom-building activities together. Almost everyone says: “Yes.” So now we need to build out those exciting new activities. That’s where you come in.
Tell me more. What’s the job?
We’re looking for a Utility Player: a Swiss Army Knife for writing, copy editing, video production, organizing, people wrangling, research, testing out new tech, stage managing events, running and analyzing user tests, and pretty much anything else that comes up. We need someone who is a real self-starter. We’re looking for someone who is confident and also ready to learn; someone who knows how to identify problems and figure out how to fix them.
Are there specific qualifications?
Yes. You need to be someone who:
- has a great portfolio of audio-visual work, video production in particular. Long form documentaries, YouTube or TikTok videos, any of that is okay. We’re looking for someone who can tell a story and make a point using video in a way that’s inventive and charming.
- is a wonderful and versatile writer. We’re looking for someone who can take something complicated, long, and boring and make it simple, concise and engaging. And if you can craft an inspiring speech, even better.
- can take initiative. You’re going to need to make stuff happen without a lot of management. Collaboration, yes! Managerial oversight, not so much. No time for that. You need to be comfortable working toward goals independently, asking for help when you need it, and keeping others updated on what you’re getting done.
- loves learning about new technology. We are an experimental organization, which requires us to be on the lookout for tech that can help us make things happen (or happen better). You should like finding and figuring out how to use new tech.
- is diligent about follow-through. Like, really diligent. It’s important that we don’t let tasks fall on the floor and get forgotten.
- can set and keep your own deadlines, because we’ll be looking to you to tell us what you can accomplish when, and we need people who do what they say they’re going to do. That said, sometimes you’ll be given deadlines, in which case, you’ll need to be good at juggling in the context of multiple priorities.
- welcomes and can give feedback. Our mantra is “Be Honest & Be Kind Simultaneously.” You need to have the confidence and grace to be able to give both project and interpersonal feedback effectively and be able to take direct (but kindly worded) feedback constructively...and grow from it.
- is relentless and innovative about solving problems. We’re looking for someone who is positive and can figure out how to get to YES.
- is a great communicator. You’ll be communicating all kinds of things to all kinds of people, so the ability to communicate in writing, on the phone, and on Zoom clearly and concisely is important; as is writing and speaking in the kind of inclusive, welcoming, intelligent voice that we want to be the hallmark of interacting with Unify America.
- is capable of, and willing to commit to embracing radical non-partisanship. Warmly welcoming all volunteers (no matter who they voted for) is central to our mission. You will interact with a lot of people - and you need to be deeply committed to being respectful to people with whom you may disagree on important topics.
I’m interested. How do I apply?
Great! Follow the link to upload your resume and write us a cover letter that includes your salary expectations. () Give us three reasons why you’d be great for the job and if you like, share your political beliefs (liberal? conservative? something else entirely?). Most importantly, be yourself (yes really!).