Director of Professional Learning
Director of Professional Learning
Zearn is the nonprofit educational organization behind Zearn Math, the top-rated math learning platform used by 1 in 4 elementary students nationwide. Zearn Math supports teachers with research-backed curriculum and digital lessons proven to double the learning gains of a typical year of instruction. Zearn Math instructional materials - including 400+ hours of digital math learning - are free for teachers and families. Zearn also offers school- and district-wide licenses and professional development to support implementation. Everything Zearn does is driven by the belief that every kid can be a math kid.
Zearn is continuing to expand its impact and build its curriculum into grades 6 - 8, while maintaining a focus on access and equity. Zearn is a nonprofit and provides its core instructional materials at no cost, sustaining its work through philanthropy and products that support implementation.
Zearn has expanded rapidly since its founding in 2012 and anticipates additional growth as Zearn expands into middle school and beyond. The Zearn team, currently 89 people across the U.S., operates as a learning community of teachers, software developers, and designers who are passionate about providing a rigorous, supportive, and engaging math learning and teaching experience.
For more information on Zearn, please visit.
Zearn is seeking its first Director of Professional Learning to develop and lead the training strategy, content, and experience that will support hundreds of thousands of educators in leading math instruction that helps all kids love learning math. Motivated by a passion for working with educators and a deep understanding of adult learning, the Director of Professional Learning will build and continually refine Zearn's training experience to be a best-in-class support for educators. They will ensure that every teacher and administrator trained by Zearn is inspired, equipped, and supported to successfully adopt, implement, and thrive with Zearn Math in their district, school, or classroom, creating welcoming learning environments where all kids believe they can be math kids. Ultimately, this role will have a significant impact by helping millions of children develop a love of learning math.
The Director of Professional Learning will bring expertise in adult and teacher learning and inspiring and engaging facilitation skills, as well as the creative and strategic thinking skills necessary to build out a new professional learning program. Fundamentally, they will share the Zearn team's belief that all kids can love learning math.
Reporting to Zearn's Chief Academic Officer, the Director of Professional Learning will be part of a growing academic team working within a highly collaborative organization. They will partner with colleagues in the School Operations, Content/Product, and Sales/Marketing teams to ensure that Zearn's professional training is responsive to teacher and administrator needs, current with a growing curriculum, and consistently delivered with the highest levels of quality. This is an extraordinary opportunity for a seasoned and dynamic instructional leader who is experienced in both designing and delivering the training needed to successfully implement a high-quality curriculum.
· Lead the creation of the Zearn Math training experience, including a multi-year scope and sequence and associated content, that will support teachers and administrators from adoption to thriving with Zearn Math
· Draw on best practices in adult learning to design training opportunities, content, and activities that excite and inspire educators as learners and support them in implementing new or different approaches for teaching math
· Identify differentiated training pathways and build responsive programs, modifying the professional learning experience as needed based on factors such as audience, user case, and time
· Serve as an expert facilitator and lead a variety of training sessions, leveraging these opportunities both to deliver an exceptional training to users and to understand users' needs, informing ongoing iteration of the Zearn Math training experience
· Partner with the School Operations team to identify the best training activities for the Director of Professional Learning to facilitate directly, on an ongoing or case-by-case basis
· Share expertise with a growing corps of Zearn Math training facilitators by designing and delivering internal onboarding and training activities that prepare these individuals for success and help them enhance their own facilitation skills
· Ensure appropriate supports are in place for ongoing evaluation and feedback for Zearn Math training facilitators
· Assess the impact and effectiveness of the Zearn Math training experience, continuously testing, learning, and refining based on observations, research, market needs, feedback, and Zearn's robust internal data system; collaborate with other internal teams as appropriate to identify opportunities for improvement or change
As the incoming Director of Professional Learning, you will possess many, though perhaps not all, of the following experiences, competencies, and attributes:
· You love thinking deeply about adult pedagogy, teacher learning, and how to engage and energize educators as learners and thinkers. You are a continuous learner and will bring curiosity to learning about Zearn Math and how to build a strong professional learning and training experience for this program, as well as excitement about working with math educators.
· You bring 10 - 15 or more years of professional experience, including substantial experience and skill in designing and facilitating professional learning and development sessions for educators, as well as demonstrated success as a classroom teacher, instructional leader, and educator.
· You are a hands-on leader who is comfortable rolling up your sleeves to create high-quality professional learning and training materials.
· You are able to toggle between looking at big-picture strategy and goals for your work and zooming into the details as necessary.
· You possess excellent verbal and written communications skills as well as dynamic, engaging, and effective facilitation skills.
· You are comfortable utilizing a variety of software programs, including Keynote and Google Slides for presentation.
· You are committed to Zearn's mission of creating learning and teaching experiences where all kids belong and can love learning math.
Compensation & Benefits
Zearn offers a competitive salary, commensurate with experience, and a robust benefits package, including comprehensive medical, dental, and vision plans; short- and long-term disability insurance; life insurance; 401K matching; parental leave; and a generous PTO policy.
Zearn is currently operating as a fully remote organization and this position is designed for remote work on a permanent basis. Ideally, the Director of Professional Learning will be located in CA, CO, CT, FL, LA, MA, NJ, NY, TN, TX, WA, or WI, though Zearn is able to consider candidates who would be based in other locations within the US. There will be some travel required for this role, once it is safe to do so.
Cassie Scarano and Kirstin Griffiths of Koya Partners have been retained for this search. To express your interest in this role please submit your materials. All inquiries and discussions will be considered strictly confidential.
Zearn is an equal opportunity employer and strongly encourages applications from people of color, persons with disabilities, women, and LGBTQ+ applicants.
About Koya Partners
Koya Partners, a part of the Diversified Search Group, is a leading executive search and strategic advising firm dedicated to connecting exceptionally talented people with mission-driven clients. Our founding philosophy—The Right Person in the Right Place Can Change the World—guides our work as we partner with nonprofits & NGOs, institutions of higher education, responsible businesses, and social enterprises in local communities and around the world.
For more information about Koya Partners, visit www.koyapartners.com.