Manager, User Experience (UX) Research & Design
About Leadership for Educational Equity
Leadership for Educational Equity (LEE) is a nonprofit leadership development organization inspiring and supporting a network of civic leaders to eradicate the injustice of educational inequity.
Through one-on-one coaching, fellowships, workshops, and resources, LEE works to develop and inspire its members individually and collectively, across all disciplines – as policy makers, advocates, elected leaders and community organizers. LEE membership is free and currently open to alumni of several partner organizations including Teach For America, the Congressional Hispanic Caucus Institute (CHCI), New Leaders, Latinos for Education, Urban Teachers, and Public Allies. LEE believes that when a diverse group of leaders, grounded in a commitment to equity, are in leadership roles, they will serve as a transformative force for and with students and communities.
LEE is a diverse team of passionate and talented individuals committed to making a difference. We are a high-growth, results-oriented organization that operates in an entrepreneurial environment deeply invested in continuous improvement. LEE is honored to have been selected as a LATINA Style 50 Award recipient and a When Work Works award recipient. We are also an Employer of National Service. If you would like to become part of our team and join the fight for educational equity, or if you would simply like to learn more, please visit.
The Manager, UX Research and Design will report to the Senior Director on the Technology Operations team at LEE and play an integral part in gathering insights about the needs, attitudes, emotions, and behaviors of members and staff who use our platforms and then design experiences to meet those insights. This role will collaborate closely with technology project managers, our technology development team, and our platform and infrastructure teams to inform and design the experiences within our entire digital technology ecosystem. They will work with stakeholders across different teams and have impact at all stages of our user’s experience, from informing prototype development to improving flows through day-to-day tasks. They will explore user behaviors and motivations by conducting both the primary research and then designing personas, mock-ups, user flows and other artifacts to guide design and development processes and to inform strategies, project selection, and org-wide priorities.
Position Location: Flexible
Travel Requirements: 15% for team retreats + occasional project-related travel(pending COVID-19 travel restrictions)
User Experience Research (40%)
- Design and conduct various forms of user research (including contextual observation, user studies, interviews, surveys, etc)
- Work with technology team leadership, project managers, and other technical staff to prioritize research opportunities in a fast-paced, rapidly changing environment
- Provide analysis of user research and elevate patterns and pain points to Tech leadership, project managers, and other technical staff to influence outcomes and direction of work
- Understand and incorporate complex technical and business requirements into research
- Advocate research findings to diverse audiences through written reports and in-person presentations, when needed
User Experience Design and Optimization (45%)
- Consult on and design user experiences within current and new digital and infrastructure platforms and apps including staff-facing and member-facing experiences
- Design and create personas, wireframes, mock-ups, user flows, usability tests, and other UX artifacts
- Ensure designed experiences holistically meet the overall LEE member experience and integrate with the current tech ecosystem, platforms, and processes
- Support Tech leadership team to define user experience best practices and norms for Tech team across platforms and projects
- Manage and use optimization tools to measure, test, and improve user experience within digital platforms
Relationship building (10%)
- Build and create a strong partnership with staff within Tech team and on partner teams in order to successfully partner and influence cross-team and cross-org projects
- Serve as expert to partner teams around user experience for cross-platform level work and be able to clearly explain why certain decisions are made around the user experience by articulating impact
- Other projects or tasks as assigned by the Senior Director or team's Chief of Staff
- Bachelor's degree or commensurate work experience
- 4 years of professional work experience and at least 3 years of relevant experience; non-profit experience a plus
- Experience with user research design utilizing various methods including but not limited to usability studies, contextual inquiry, interviews, and surveys.
- Strong expertise and demonstrated ability in using various design tools to create personas, wireframes, mock-ups, user-flows, and other user design artifacts.
- Demonstrate strong collaboration, problem solving, influencing, and communication skills and possess a combination of traits including creative vision and collaborative spirit.
- Comfortable designing an end-to-end customer experience
- Proficiency in communicating impact-driven user-research findings across teams
- Ability to work cross-functionally and develop meaningful relationships with other staff
- Ability to communicate complex technologies and concepts with conversational language for the
- purpose of education and/or guidance
- Strong, demonstrated commitment to diversity, equity & inclusion
- Bachelor's degree in Anthropology, Human-Computer Interaction (HCI), Human Factors, Psychology, Sociology, or a related field or equivalent practical experience.
- Strong understanding of the strengths and shortcomings of different research methods, including when and how to apply them during the product development process.
- Expertise in interaction design, information architecture, and/or data visualization
- Ability to effectively communicate and collaborate within a geographically dispersed team
- Deep passion for educational equity and belief in LEE’s mission and theory of change