Director of Intervention
Job Title: Director of Intervention Programs
Reports to: Executive Director
Full/Part Time: Full Time
FLSA: Exempt - Salaried
Founded in 2000, the New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault’s mission is to prevent sexual violence and reduce the harm it causes through education, research, and advocacy. The Alliance works closely with the city’s rape crisis programs and hospitals, and other city and court officials and leaders to develop and implement best practices and policies, raise public awareness, and create sustainable change for survivors. Through training, advocacy and research, the Alliance has been an active force in fighting for recognition of the magnitude of the problem of sexual violence in New York City (NYC).
The Director of Intervention Programs is responsible for all intervention-related initiatives at the Alliance. This includes development and implementation of all training activities of the Sexual Assault Forensic Examiner Training Institute (SAFETI). SAFETI trains medical professionals in the provision of acute care and the collection of forensic evidence and provides multiple courses for medical professions as well as training for other social service professions in sexual assault and response to such disclosures.
Additionally, the Director of Intervention Programs is responsible for leadership of the Alliance’s Direct Service program for survivors of sexual violence, Alliance for Advocacy (AFA) providing supervision and oversight of programs and services for survivors receiving short-term counseling. In addition, this position provides and supervises technical assistance on evidence informed, best care practices to hospitals, healthcare clinics and rape crisis programs citywide through the Intervention Program as well as the Training and Technical Assistance (TTA) Program. The Alliance is one of two programs that comprise the New York State Center for Training and Technical Assistance (TTA), which supports Rape Crisis and Sexual Violence Prevention Programs across NYS in their work with college and university communities, and nightlife populations. Finally, in positions of leadership of the Multi-Disciplinary Task Forces on Sexual Assault, the Director of Intervention Programs advocates for adoption of best intervention practices by the various responders to sexual assault.
Specific responsibilities include:
In addition to the below, we are looking for someone who excels at direct and honest communication, is open to working collaboratively with the staff utilizing team decision-making and to learning from team staff, values autonomy for staff while providing guidance and clarity when needed, and helping to ensure work time is spent on tasks that value client service first and foremost.
· Leading the direction of SAFETI, including overseeing staff, outreach to programs and stakeholders about training needs.
· Leading the direction of AFA, including overseeing program staff, provision of programming, and offering of services.
· Leading the direction of the TTA program, supervision of staff and overseeing aspects of intervention-related tasks within the program.
· Development, execution, and facilitation of new training programs and initiatives related to Intervention and Training and Technical Assistance Programs.
· Providing trainings to CBOs, human service professionals, and legal providers such as DA offices, judges, etc.
· Management of grant contracts associated with the above listed programs, including developing and executing work plans, budget development, and reporting.
· Participation / co-leadership in various citywide coalitions and task forces.
· Supporting the Policy Advocacy work of the Alliance.
· Working with the Alliance leadership team to develop new programs and funding opportunities; working with Development, Communications, Prevention heads to develop cohesive strategies and content.
The Alliance is seeking candidates who possess:
· Masters’ degree in Social Work, Mental Health Counseling, Public Health, or related field, LCSW preferred.
- A minimum of 6-8 years minimum of professional experience in the field of sexual assault or related field.
- Experience developing and implementing training programs.
- Demonstrated leadership skills, including supervision and development of staff.
- Knowledgeable in certification protocols and policies that result in the provision of quality intervention in sexual assault.
- Experience and knowledge working in or with the healthcare setting/medical field. Expertise with the pediatric population is a plus.
- Experience providing technical assistance with hospitals, rape crisis programs and culturally specific NGOs working with survivors, on improving their policies to better meet survivor needs.
- Strong connections to culturally specific NGOs serving survivor populations in NYC and cultural competency/knowledge as to the needs of those populations.
- Good relationship with DA’s offices, knowledge of the criminal justice system.
- Experience with policy advocacy.
- Experience and/or familiarity with Restorative Justice practices.
- Knowledge of evidence-based interventions and of trauma-informed practices; clinical experience in working directly with sexual violence survivors and experience providing trainings on this topic.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills; ability to interface with program partners and competently handle various media requests.
- Ability to work independently and in a team.
- Dedication to using a social justice, anti-oppression framework in order to carry out work.
- Ability to work collaboratively and across issue area with diverse communities and institutions.
Send a cover letter and CV/resume to, with Director of Intervention in the subject line. Salary commensurate with experience.
Disclaimer: This job description may not be inclusive of all assigned duties, responsibilities, or aspects of the job described, and may be amended at any time at the sole discretion of the Employer.
Equal Employment Opportunity: The New York City Alliance Against Sexual Assault is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to cultural diversity, diversity of gender expression and open to candidates of all ages and physical ability. We strongly encourage individuals from diverse backgrounds to apply.