SER is seeking an enthusiastic and experienced Program Associate to support and deliver our growing program portfolio. Responsibilities include administering the Certified Ecological Restoration Practitioner (CERP) program; supporting the delivery of programs, trainings, workshops, and the biennial World Conference on Ecological Restoration; and helping to support and grow an active group of high-level volunteers within the Society. This is a three-quarters time position with the potential for increased hours in the future (funding dependent) and reports to the Program Director. The position is intended to grow in content and complexity over time, and in some areas can be responsive to the capabilities and interests of the individual. The position will be permanently remote.
The ideal candidate will be a self-motivated, tech proficient team player with experience in administering programs, membership database expertise, project management, volunteer coordination, and strong written and verbal communication skills.
1. Act as the principal contact for the CERP program, including:
a. Provide customer support by responding to inquiries, troubleshooting, etc.
b. Facilitate the certification application and review processes with the appropriate committees
c. Compile and send CERP/CERPIT approval packages
d. Coordinate with the SER Membership and Marketing team to ensure all CERP dues, fees, and continuing education credits are effectively managed through SER’s databases
e. Manage the CERP e-learning course
f. Maintain all CERP promotional materials (website, print materials, other as needed) and CERP directory
g. Manage outreach to academic institutions to maintain updated academic listings
h. Coordinate with the Membership and Marketing team to identify CERPs/CERPITs to be featured in SER’s social media posts, webinar series, conferences, and other programs
i. Develop written content promoting the CERP program and activities
2. Coordinate, support, and develop active and engaged CERP volunteers, including:
a. Consistently and proactively coordinate activities and meetings of the five CERP committees (50+ volunteers)
b. Identify activities to promote the CERP program and coordinate participation by high-level volunteers
c. Work with the CERP marketing and outreach committee to coordinate publication and dissemination of the CERP Practitioner Insider at least 3 times per year
d. Run annual CERP committee elections
PROGRAMS (~20% time)
1. Coordinate and support the delivery of SER-Global and SER chapter webinar programs, including:
a. Serve as the first point of contact for questions about webinars
b. Manage webinar set-up and update information on the website
c. Train speakers and chapter representatives to deliver their webinars
d. Provide technological management of webinars
2. Provide logistical and administrative support to the Program Director for training programs and workshops, including:
a. Assist in preparing, reviewing, and disseminating training/workshop materials
b. Assist in coordinating training course or workshop logistics
3. Assist in coordinating and supporting volunteers on the Programs, Student and Emerging Professionals, and North American Chapter Committees (+50 volunteers), as well as other high level volunteers
4. Coordinate with the Operation Associate to ensure program benefits are delivered through the corporate sponsorship program
5. Support the promotion and maintenance of SER’s Restoration Resource Center through monthly website updates and content development
6. Support the Program Director in developing SERNews, SER’s quarterly members’ magazine by:
a. Collect and organize materials from SER staff, chapters and sections, calendar, etc.
b. Review and provide comments (both substantive and copy edits)
CONFERENCE (~20% time)
1. Support the development and delivery of SER’s biennial World Conference:
a. Serve as the first point of contact for external requests for information about conferences
b. Act as the key liaison with SER’s professional conference organizer, including reviewing/editing written content and ensuring that tasks are completed in a timely manner
c. Act as the principal coordinator and support staff for conference committees
d. Work with the team to develop and implement innovative hybrid conference approaches
e. Assist with other conference events as needed
1. Participate substantially in all-staff meetings and one-on-one check-ins with the Program Director, as well as quarterly board meetings
2. Collaborate with SER team on projects as needed
● Minimum of 3 years of experience in program/project management
● Strong written and oral communications skills
● Experience recruiting, managing, and engaging volunteers
● Willingness to quickly learn new technological systems and software
● Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite
● Prompt, polite, and professional demeanor
● Minimum of Bachelor’s degree preferred
● Background or experience in the natural or environmental sciences, preferably in ecological restoration
● Experience navigating database driven management systems (e.g. cloud systems to manage blind certification reviews, learning management systems, Association Management System)
● Experience using Canva, Adobe Creative Suite, or other design programs
● CERPs and CERPITs strongly encouraged to apply
Essential Characteristics Successful candidates will:
● Enjoy working substantively with volunteers
● Demonstrate a capacity to work well with competing priorities and tight deadlines
● Complete assignments in timely, effective, and accurate manner
● Be comfortable taking initiative and working independently with minimal supervision
● Show curiosity and excitement to expand your skills, innovate, and be creative
● Have an ability to communicate effectively with individuals from across an international network and from across the science-practice spectrum
● Have the flexibility for occasional early morning or evening meetings
Position Details and Application Process
SER’s benefit package includes health/dental insurance, 12 paid holidays, vacation and sick leave, SIMPLE IRA retirement plan (with a match), and flexible work arrangements.
SER has a small and dynamic staff where everyone is encouraged to participate, add value, grow and develop their programs, and contribute substantively towards meeting our mission.
To apply, please send a resume, cover letter and a writing sample to. Please title your email: SER Program Associate – YOUR NAME. The position is open until filled, with priority given to applicants who submit materials by June 25, 2021. Top applicants will be contacted by email to schedule interviews.
Desired Start Date: August 16, 2021
No phone calls, please.
SER is an equal opportunity employer and values diversity in the workplace. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.