Part-time Accounting Officer
The Seismological Society of America (SSA) is a non-profit membership organization devoted to the advancement of seismology and the understanding of earthquakes for the benefit of society.
SSA is recruiting an experienced accounting specialist to implement systems for collecting, analyzing, verifying and reporting financial information. This job may be remote, but the person must reside in California.
The position’s responsibilities include the following:
- Maintain financial recordkeeping and reporting systems.
- Process billing, receivables, payables, cash receipts, cash disbursements and general-ledger functions.
- Reconcile bank and investment accounts and prepare related journal entries.
- Ensure that all general-ledger accounts are reconciled to subsidiary records on a monthly basis.
- Conduct weekly uploads from Civi (CRM) and QBO.
- Check Authorize.net daily for attempted fraudulent activity or incomplete transactions.
- Prepare monthly closing general-ledger entries.
- Monitor and follow-up on receivables, communicating effectively with customers.
- Coordinate proper invoicing with publications contractors, guaranteeing accurate billing of page charges.
- Assist with annual external audit.
- Other duties, as assigned by the Executive Director.
This position requires a Bachelor’s Degree and/or a minimum of five years of experience in an office setting with administration or accounting experience preferred, preferably with a non-profit organization.
- Working knowledge of QuickBooks required (QBO online, not desktop).
- Strong, demonstrated skills in Word, Google apps, Excel
- Demonstrated excellent writing skills required.
- Demonstrated reliability.
- Solid customer service skills.
- Ability to pay attention to detail and maintain confidentiality
- Strong interpersonal skills and commitment to working with a diverse staff are essential to successfully carry out the duties of this position.
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of work duties that will be required in this position. It is not intended to limit, or in any way modify, the rights of any supervisor to assign, direct, and contract work of staff under his/her supervision.
This position may be worked remotely, and the employee would need to reside in California.