Architectural/Interior Design Lead
The Heart of America (HOA) Design Lead will oversee and complete the design work for space transformation projects throughout all phases of the design process. This is a hands-on design position that requires excellent coordination, communication, and management skills. Experience with commercial design, specifically education spaces or libraries strongly desired. Strong communication, organizational, and leadership skills will be used to coordinate with internal HOA stakeholders, engage external stakeholders in active participation, and facilitate all tasks and deliverables to deliver high quality, impactful transformation of spaces. AutoCAD/Revit experience required; Adobe InDesign and Photoshop strongly preferred. This person leads in the mission of providing communities with modern learning environments in which students can learn and grow.
The ideal candidate has a minimum of five years architectural/interior design experience in education and learning environments, is a self starter, has experience managing a design team, and available immediately. This is a remote working opportunity and location is flexible.
HOA is a national non profit organization that designs spaces for schools and learning environments across the country. We believe that space matters - if you are passionate about design and want to make a difference, this job is for you! HOA offers an attractive compensation package, including medical, dental, paid holidays, vacation leave, a 403(b) plan and more! Compensation is commensurate with experience.
1) Enhances and implements organizational vision in keeping with HOA’s values.
a) As a member of the Program Delivery department, this staff member will guide and engage in short and long-term strategic planning for design initiatives in scope of this role.
2) Ensures programmatic excellence based on HOA’s Operating Principles.
a) Provides leadership for Design Team, sustaining HOA’s values and supporting staff during organizational growth.
b) Demonstrates consistent quality of design; recommends timelines and resources needed to achieve design goals. Ensures that key design outcomes are evaluated and leveraged for maximum community and organizational impact.
3) Manages and promotes relationships with key stakeholders, promoting outstanding customer service and establishing strong working relationships.
a) Researches and develops new design ideas for sponsors, partners, and other relative stakeholders to promote project development.
b) Works with Procurement lead to initiate and maintain relationships with key vendor partners to ensure HOA is utilizing the most innovative products at the best price.
4) Manages and oversees design process for all space transformation projects throughout all phases of project rollout, including management of Design staff. (70%)
a) Manages/oversees and executes the design components of transformation projects, including involvement in all phases of the design process: From gathering programmatic information during site visits and initial programming calls to conceptual design and design development through production of specifications, plan, elevation and detail drawings.
b) Completes and leads Design staff to complete projects and ensures team members are adequately trained and fully apprised of their responsibilities; mentor and professionally develop team members.
c) Designs within program materials budget.
d) Ensures lean and efficient design processes by identifying and communicating opportunities and strategies for improvement.
e) Selects and specifies finishes and communicate extent through drawings.
f) Selects and specifies furnishings and fixtures. Creates procurement list and communicate specifications within design package. Maintains brand consistency for HOA and partners.
g) Provides direction and recommendations through design process
h) Oversees the development of sponsor-specific design elements and ensure sponsor branding is include in design package.
i) Oversees the development and coordinates the graphics package within design package.
j) Creates initial scope of work to assist in setting expectations and determining what is involved in the construction process.
k) Provides general design guidance and recommendations to the Project Delivery Team.
l) Reviews design work for accuracy before finalizing.
m) Assists in managing project construction by providing design direction and feedback as needed for internal and external teams; collaborates with construction teams and designers, as directed. Helps identify additional architecture consultants, when needed.
5) Serves as lead liaison for all external design part ers. (10%)
a) Coordinates with external design partners to ensure seamless HOA design packages.
b) Conducts internal review/approval meetings for designs prior to external presentation that fully outline the proposed specification, adheres to the proposed project budget and timeline.
c) Facilitates and establishes relationships with outside vendor partners for the benefit of transformation work.
6) Other Duties as Assigned (10%)
a) Stays up-to-date with latest educational design concepts/pedagogy, furnishings and tools.
b) Maintains continuing education as needed, if registered or licensed.
c) This position requires flexibility and adaptability. There will be tasks assigned that are outside of this job description from time to time.
Skills and Knowledge
- Bachelor of Architecture or Interior Design required, Registration or licensure preferred.
- Additional construction related accreditation, e.g. LEED, WELL AP, is preferred.
- Minimum five years professional architectural design experience required. Design/project experience related to educational and/or learning environments is preferred.
- Portfolio of project design experience is required.
- AutoCAD/Revit required; Adobe InDesign and Photoshop strongly preferred.
- Demonstrated leadership and supervision experience, particularly in a fast-paced, high energy environment. Team management and direct report experience is required.
- Excellent organizational skills, ability to establish priorities, provide clear direction and support work of design staff.
- Ability to develop and direct long-term projects as they relate to the strategic goals of the organization.
- Commitment to quality programs and excellence in organizational and project management
- Strong interpersonal skills including the ability to interact with all groups involved in transformation work, conduct presentations in small and large group settings and experience building and establishing relationships with organization stakeholders.
- Clear and strong ability to articulate design initiatives and concepts. Excellent verbal and written skills.
- Proficiency in MS Office and similar business communications/organizational tools.
- Some travel and occasional weekend days may be required.
- Valid driver’s license and the ability to drive an SUV or mini-van.
- Willingness to work flexible hours