Senior Data Engineer - US Remote
The Senior Data Engineer provides data scientists, analytics engineers, business analysts, as well as reporting and analysis tools, with timely, accurate, reliable data and infrastructure. Degreed amasses a high volume of structured and unstructured data in multiple production systems. In this role, you’ll take ownership of designing and building data infrastructure and data pipelining that data together into various repositories to enable reporting, data analysis, efficient data architecture, and data modeling. In addition, you’ll assist the Data Science team in accessing and making sense of data in its raw form.
Day In The Life
- Design, deploy, and maintain services and a scalable platform to support our business in our growing Azure-based data infrastructure
- Design/build the architecture and infrastructure required for optimal extraction, transformation, and loading of data from a wide variety of data sources using tools like Python, Hive/Spark, SQL/NoSQL, and various pipeline management technologies
- Create and implement utilities that surfaces data pipelines and infrastructure activity in a meaningful way
- Partner with internal teams (Data Engineering, Data Science and Internal and External Reporting) to research, develop requirements, and create meaningful data insights
- Develop data pipelines to extract, load, and transform data using SQL, Jinja and Python
- Research systems and APIs to find the best way to connect to third-party datasets
- Architect database schemas, models and queries to ensure performance
- Write automated tests to monitor and ensure end to end data quality
Who You Are
- 5+ years experience writing performant, maintainable, and scalable Python services
- 6+ Data Engineering including Data Modeling ,ETL/ELT, Data Lakes and Data Warehousing and building Data Platforms on cloud based infrastructure such as Azure, AWS, GCP, etc.
- 4+ years of experience working with one or more cloud platforms such as Azure, AWS, GCP, etc.
- 4+ years of experience creating, deploying and maintaining CI/CD-enabled high-availability production services
- 5+ years of experience with one or more data pipeline platforms like Airflow, Stitch, Spark or others
- 4 + years of writing automated testing using tools like pytest
- 6+ years working with SQL such as Sql Server, Postgres, MySql
- 4+ years of experience with environment and deployment automation, infrastructure-as-code, deployment data pipeline specification and development using utilities like Github Actions
- 6+ years of experience in data modeling, including developing conceptual, logical, and physical data models
What Will Set You Apart
- Proficiency with automated testing using tools like pytest
- Strong experience building Data Warehouse Platforms using technologies such as Snowflake, Stitch, and dbt
- Experience working with GitHub Actions or similar CI/CD workflow
We believe your best work happens when you have a complete life balance, and Degreed gives you the support and flexibility to make that happen. Degreed is committed to delivering a comprehensive benefits program that provides the support you need. At the time of this posting, this role is eligible to participate in the following benefits:-- Comprehensive health insurance for you and your family (both PPO and HDHP plans available)-- Dental and vision plans for you and your family-- Employer-paid life insurance, AD&D, short-term disability, and long-term disability-- Company equity-- 401(k) Retirement Savings Plan with up to 4% match-- Company funded HSA and dependent care FSA (pending eligibility)-- Generous Parental Leave-- Unlimited Paid Time Off and 5 sick days per year-- Education benefit: Up to $1,200 per year for anything you want to learn (and we mean anything)!-- One-time Home Office Stipend to make your workspace more comfortable-- Monthly internet and phone stipend-- Monthly wellness stipend through Twic
*Degreed reserves the right to modify these benefits at any time, for any reason in accordance with applicable law. Please note the offerings vary based on location.
Work Environment & Physical Demands
Degreed is a remote-first company, however our roles are open to in-office or flex work if you live in a city with a physical office location (when it is safe to return to the office). This role has the opportunity to operate 100% virtually from your home office. We primarily collaborate with our US and International colleagues through virtual meetings (Zoom), email, and Slack. In this role, you will be required to operate a lap computer (PC or Mac available), computer software platforms, and other office productivity machinery as necessary. Due to the nature of this role, you must be able to remain stationary for extended periods, and must be able to observe and interpret written and/or verbal communication.
Degreed provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
We are committed to the full inclusion of all qualified individuals. As part of this commitment, Degreed will provide reasonable accommodations to all qualified individuals with disabilities to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and/or to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us at to request an accommodation.
Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Degreed uses the E-Verify employment verification program.
Global Data Privacy Notice for Job Candidates and Applicants
Depending on your location, the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and California Consumer Privacy Act (CCPA) may regulate the way we manage the data of job applicants. Our full notice outlining how data will be processed as part of the application procedure for applicable locations is available here: Ireland/EU, United Kingdom, and California. By submitting your application, you are agreeing to our use and processing of your data as required.