New Mexico Organizer
Food & Water Watch is working to create a healthy future for all people and generations to come—a world where everyone has food they can trust, clean drinking water and a livable climate. Making this happen requires involving people in the pressing issues of our time at the local, state, and federal level, building on one win after another, as we develop a larger movement that has the political power to make our democratic process work.
The Organizer for New Mexico will report to the Senior Organizer for New Mexico and will work with other national organizing staff, regional field staff, and policy/research staff to support FWW’s campaigns to ban fracking and factory farming. The Organizer will be responsible for implementing campaign plans, working with volunteers, organizing sign on letters, petitions, and social media outreach. NOTE: Priority consideration will be given to candidates living in New Mexico and/or who have experience working in New Mexico. This is a Bargaining Unit/Union Position.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Build a strong base of organizations and individuals in support of our campaigns, with a particular emphasis on petitions and social media outreach and in person volunteer activities once safe.
- Work with a team on executing long- and short-term goals, strategies and tactics.
- Work closely with volunteers, team members, and partner organization to develop and implement joint strategies.
- Participate in coalitions on campaign issues and implement grassroots organizing and public education campaigns.
- Speak at public events, forums, and other venues, and serve as a representative of Food & Water Watch to the public and the media.
- Assist in building the capacity and leadership of volunteers.
- Maintain familiarity with a diverse set of issues, research products, and FWW’s suite of digital organizing tools, and respond to information and support requests from activists, coalition members, and the media.
- Develop educational materials such as factsheets, action alerts, web site content and newsletter articles on various campaign issues. Maintain activist database and email lists to effectively communicate to members and supporters.
- Regularly report on work to supervisors and donors.
- Participate and/or develop non-partisan electoral strategies and tactics for either/both Food and Water Watch (c3) and Food and Water Action (c4).
- Participate in membership recruitment and fundraising for Food & Water Action/Watch.
- Support Our Culture of Philanthropy: Demonstrate an understanding of the essential role of our members and supporters, and consistently serve as an ambassador for FWW/FWA and our work. Participate in or attend events and other activities as appropriate that are organized for our supporters and donors. Be cognizant of fundraising opportunities and share contacts and information that will help build and sustain FWW/FWA.
- Carry out other projects as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, the person in this position is expected to develop a complete understanding of FWW’s Strategic Organizing model and an ability to develop campaign strategy. The Organizer will be expected to work closely with volunteers and allied organizations to ensure campaigns are moving forward to achieve programmatic goals.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education/Experience: Bachelor's Degree or combination of relevant education and experience. One year of full-time experience organizing. Clear demonstration of ability to develop effective organizing strategies.
Computer Skills: An individual should be able to work in a computerized environment and have adequate knowledge of word processing, email, internet and spreadsheet software and Zoom; in particular have coursework or certification in Microsoft Word, Excel, and Power Point and proficiency with all other Microsoft Office products.