Software Engineer (Full Stack)
We are building a platform for equity - join us! We're looking for a full stack engineer to join our core team. As our 2nd developer and 3rd FTE hire, you'll have a major role in shaping our vision, strategy, culture, product, and code.
The Avela platform is a web dashboard that uses Nobel Prize winning algorithms to equitably allocate opportunity given a set of preferences and configuration. We’re expanding our capabilities to offer a set of algorithms for various use cases, and to leverage machine learning to infer preferences and recommend matches.
As the second technical hire, you have an opportunity to influence the vision of the product and culture we are creating together. Come build something out of nothing with us!
- Develop groundbreaking software: Establish the technical architecture and guidelines for a scalable application. Develop the back-end and front-end of the first MVP with your preferred stack.
- Explore product-market fit: Explore product-market opportunities and co-create products with our customers. We’ll work directly with our customers in early pilots to build early prototypes and MVPs. We’ll constantly iterate and expand our base until we’ve landed on a groundbreaking product that we can sell to thousands of school districts and impact millions of students.
- Partner to grow our customer base and delight our customers: Help promote and sell our products, including joining or leading sales conversations, developing and leading customer demos, helping to create product marketing collateral, and more. Offering technical support for our customers. Until we grow our customer success team, we’ll need help from the entire engineering team to support our customers with technical issues.
- 4+ years of experience building software
- 4+ years front-end development experience with modern JS development frameworks (React / Vue / Angular)
- 4+ years back-end development experience, relational database modeling
- Testing / CI / CD
- Machine learning experience a plus
- Startup experience a plus
- Enterprise software / B2B experience a plus
- Passion for education, equity, or social impact
- Entrepreneurial spirit and drive
- Growth mindset and desire to constantly improve
- Legal ability to work in the US, based in the USA.
- ReactJS frontend
- Ruby on Rails JSON API
- Postgres database
- AWS CDK (IaC) in Typescript
- AWS ECS, RDS, Lambda, Amplify
Avela is a platform for organizations and governments to run markets to equitably allocate resources and opportunities.
Our mission is to more equitably and efficiently distribute opportunity. We believe the right person in the right position will change the world. And similarly, the right opportunity or school for the right individual could change their life.
Our clients use our tool to match individuals to these opportunities. Examples include assigning students to schools, graduate students to fieldwork, medical residents to hospitals, patients to treatments or doctors, employees to teams, consultants to clients, volunteers to projects, etc. Before Avela, these opportunities were allocated through a combination of manual processes, spreadsheets, and trial-and-error - rife with implicit bias and questionable outcomes.
Learn more at.
We are a passionate team of entrepreneurs, engineers, economists, and data scientists - get to know us at.
We are a flexible, remote-friendly culture. This role will work closely with customers, so we prefer candidates living in the Americas or willing to work continental US hours. #LI-Remote
Significant equity, passionate team, flexible work policies, and full health benefits. Learn more at.
Please Apply At: