National Political Director
About New American Leaders and New American Leaders Action Fund
For over ten years, New American Leaders (NAL) has been preparing first and second generation Americans to run, win, and lead in elected office. By engaging immigrant communities at every level of the political process, we are building a more robust and inclusive democracy.
NAL and our political affiliate, the New American Leaders Action Fund (NALAF), together offer a full suite of programs to guide rising leaders throughout their political journey. We empower New Americans to lead with values and vision from initial general campaign skills, to support and voter outreach along the campaign trail, to governing skills once elected.
Job Description: National Political Director
The National Political Director works through both NAL and NALAF to develop and manage strategic programs ensuring New American candidates are winning races up and down the ticket across the country. This position fills a critical role, leading our WIN team, and working in partnership with our National Director of Leadership Programs (the RUN team leader) and National Governance Director (the LEAD team leader). Candidates should have experience working with leadership from immigrant communities, uplifting communities of color, and managing programs at mission-driven organizations.
Candidate Support (60%)
- Strengthen national political strategy in consultation with state-based staff to ensure New American candidates are prepared and supported in their campaigns.
- Oversee one-to-one coaching, office hours, and continuing skills education for NALAF endorsees and alumni of NAL’s candidate trainings.
- Oversee the endorsements program, developing strategy and priorities for upcoming cycles.
- Represent NAL and NALAF with ally organizations and national coalitions, strengthening and building relationships to advance political programming.
Policy and Governance (25%)
- Work with the National Governance Director, develop a framework on legislative efforts that break down systemic barriers to entry for New American candidates.
- Liaise with prospective candidates, endorsees and national organizations in support of progressive policy platform in the areas of democracy reform, immigrant integration and economic justice.
- Contribute to strategy that strengthens the thought leadership of NAL in state and local political impact.
- Ensure a smooth process that transitions candidates into our Elected Officials network.
Operations and Development (15%)
- Oversee political data on campaigns and campaign staffing and prepare reports for Communications and Development teams.
- Manage the program budget, making recommendations for changes as necessary.
- Supervise Political Coordinator and other staff as it relates to the WIN programming.
- Support the Development team in additional fundraising efforts as appropriate.
Skills and Qualifications
- Minimum 5 years of campaign or organizing experience with or in progressive politics
- Working knowledge of the political landscape and general campaign finance laws
- Commitment to serving and empowering immigrant communities
- Strong relationships with leaders in the democracy movement
- Familiarity with political data, latest campaign technologies, and best practices in the field
- Expert interpersonal skills in dealing with potential candidates, potential donors, lawmakers, and colleagues
- Ability to set and complete ambitious goals
- Meticulous attention to detail
- Ability to adapt to quickly changing deadlines and priorities
- Integrity, positive attitude, mission-oriented, and self-directed with a demonstrated passion for our mission
- A team player who can interrelate and operate effectively with peers and other associates within a collegial yet fast-paced work environment