Summer Instructional Coach
Breakthrough Greater Boston (BTGB) is a transformative college access and teacher training program. BTGB offers six years of academic enrichment and college preparation to middle school and high school students with high potential but limited opportunities. Simultaneously, BTGB recruits, trains and inspires a diverse cohort of high achieving college students to become the next generation of urban teachers. Leveraging a Students Teaching Students model, BTGB provides engaging, tuition- free academic programming during the summer and after school. Our students gain the skills and motivation to succeed in rigorous high school courses and, ultimately, in college. Meanwhile, our teachers gain hands-on experience, research-based training and coaching from professional educators.
Over the past eight years, 94% of our graduating students have matriculated to college, and 82% of them have persisted through their undergraduate years. On average, more than 70% of our graduating teachers have gone on to pursue careers in education. After two decades of success at our original Cambridge site, BTGB embarked upon a significant program expansion and opened a second site in Boston in the summer of 2013 and a third site in Somerville in 2018. As an independent 501c3 nonprofit, Breakthrough Greater Boston is part of The Breakthrough Collaborative, a national educational movement working to improve educational outcomes for youth across 25 U.S. cities.
Breakthrough Greater Boston encourages individuals of all backgrounds to apply for this position, and we do not discriminate on any basis prohibited by applicable law. We celebrate the diversity of our world and our community, and we seek to build a team that reflects that diversity in every way. We welcome and encourage all qualified applicants who share that same vision, as we wish to engage all those who can contribute to our work and this mission.
BTGB’s Instructional Coaches are a team of seasoned teachers who train, mentor and support our young teaching staff. Through regular observation and coaching, Instructional Coaches help our teachers learn to teach effectively, plan diligently and become immersed in education. This year our summer program will be run virtually via Zoom/Nearpod.
- Provide virtual guidance and support for teachers in writing lesson plans, developing instructional techniques and implementing classroom management plans
- Virtually observe four-six teachers regularly and conduct follow up conferences to provide feedback
- Provide feedback as needed on student work for students engaged in our self-paced version of the program
- Virtually observe one-two junior teachers regularly and conduct follow up conferences to provide feedback; ensure junior teachers are integrated into daily department meeting times
- Collect, evaluate and provide feedback for teachers on daily lesson plans
- Facilitate a weekly extended virtual professional development session for teachers
- Observe, evaluate and provide feedback for teachers based on BTGB’s Teacher Excellence Rubric
- Collaborate with Program Directors to ensure teaching fellows are making gains in key professional skills
- Write a summative evaluation for each teacher in your group to be completed by the final day of the Summer Program
- Collaborate with Program Directors on pre and post assessment administration, data collection and data analysis
- Support virtual program management and model effective teacher leadership during key community times like advisory, transitions/breaks and special events
- Support teaching fellows in virtually leading morning advisory time
- Provide targeted, differentiated support virtually for students in math and ELA during advisory time as determined by Program Director
- Observe and support virtual club time as needed
- Attend and support daily virtual community meetings
- Co-lead remote instruction and provide classroom coverage as needed
- Support as needed with individual student academic and behavioral challenges
- At least two years of teaching experience (three or more years preferred)
- Teaching degree or certification strongly preferred
- Commitment to and passion for teaching
- Understanding of the social, emotional and cognitive developmental level of middle school students
- Ability to work with students from diverse cultural and economic backgrounds
- Ability to deliver positive, constructive and honest feedback
- Outstanding presentation, writing and organizational skills
We will be running a virtual program this year for all three of our sites. We are looking for instructional coaches to provide remote support to teaching fellows across our sites.
The Summer Program runs from July 6 to August 13 for students. The hours for this position are Monday – Thursday 10am – 3:30pm.
There is an additional 3-5 hours of take-home work each week. Instructional Coaches will have 1-2 hours of pre-summer training in late June. Instructional Coaches will support 4-6 hours during pre-summer teacher training from June 21 – July 2. These pre-summer teacher training hours are flexible and will be scheduled with the Program Director. During the week of Aug 16th, Instructional coaches provide feedback on Teaching Fellows student letters as well as write and submit an end of summer evaluation letter for each student.
The Instructional Coach is a paid position, commensurate with experience.
The application has two steps to complete 1. National Breakthrough website – please use this link to apply and enter basic details: https://breakthrough.tfaforms.net/306493. Select Breakthrough Greater Boston as your preferred affiliate. 2. Please send your resume and a cover letter to email@example.com with “Instructional Coach Application” in the subject line. We will continue to accept applications on a rolling basis this spring until all positions are filled.
For more information, reach out to Paola Cisneros Lau, Director of Curriculum and Instruction, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Candidates for employment and employees are considered without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, citizenship, military status, gender identity, genetic disposition or carrier status, marital status or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
Thank you for your interest in Breakthrough Greater Boston!