Director of Engineering
Jungle Scout is hiring a Remote Director of EngineeringAre you excited about building a team that’s laser focused on guiding customers (from the world’s largest brands to “mom-and-pop” sellers) in their most critical business decisions by leveraging one of the largest ecommerce data sets in the world?
Do you get excited about building systems that process over 30 TB of raw data per day?
Are you passionate about building cloud-native data systems that empower data scientists to build and deploy business critical machine learning models at scale?
Amazing, then you’re the type of person we’re looking for!
Jungle Scout just raised $110M and we’re growing rapidly. We’re looking for a passionate engineering leader to join us during our most exciting phase of growth that will lead our Data Services group, focused on building cloud-native data systems that empower the entire engineering organization to build data-driven applications and predictive machine learning models.
This is a special opportunity and we’re looking for a special person. We move really fast and expect our leaders to not just keep up, but to set the pace. We do things differently. We have zero time for politics and look for the best ideas regardless of their source. We love the fact that each day is a little unpredictable and we revel in the ambiguity. We’re remote-first and committed to hiring the best talent anywhere in the world. We’re grateful to be working in a rapidly changing space and find joy in solving customer problems together as they arise.
In your first year you will:
- Drive vision and strategy for building Jungle Scout’s Data Infrastructure team and charter, which is at the foundation of Jungle Scout’s overall business strategy and competitive advantage
- Build, manage, and lead data science teams that are solving Jungle Scout’s most complex business problems
- Collaborate with data science teams and engineering leaders to build data systems that are at the foundation of Jungle Scout’s customer applications
- Build a cloud-native Data Lake that makes critical data available to entire engineering organization through a variety of interfaces and technologies
- Lead the business strategy and vision for widening Jungle Scout’s “data moat”, which delivers industry leading data analytics and automation for the world’s largest ecommerce retailers
- Build an organization that provides thought leadership to ensure Jungle Scout is leading the industry with proprietary data sources and data insights, delivering unprecedented value for customers
- Attract top talent and retain your managers and engineers through effective coaching and career growth
Interested in learning more? Let’s get into the details:
What you’ll be doing:
- Cloud-native data architecture. Experience building scalable cloud based data systems that scale seamlessly to support the world’s largest brands.
- Passion for complex data systems. Ability to build complex data systems that collect, integration, analyze, and aggregate data from many disparate sources.
- Empower advanced data analytics. Self-starter with a passion for empowering applied mathematicians to build predictive models that leverage data to provide revolutionary insights for customers.
- Experience with industry leading data technologies. Passionate about keeping on the cutting edge of the latest data technologies including stream data processing, Spark, Hive catalogs, and more.
- Provide data leadership. Help define how we collect, process and expose the data we collect to both internal and external customers.
- Lead and develop teams. Provide clear direction, define success and enable your managers, leads and individual contributors to do their best work.
- Collaborate. Communicate and collaborate with other engineering leaders to improve the engineering organization.
- Manage Relationships. Manage relationships and partnerships with our key data providers and work with external agencies to help increase the rate at which we collect, process and enable data.
Who you are:
- Operational excellence. Your core responsibility is operational excellence and oversight on the roadmaps for the teams you work with, empowering all of your team leads, and helping make faster decisions on staffing, budgeting, prioritization, personnel management, etc.
- A multiplier. You're able to multiply your effectiveness by guiding and influencing your team leads to maximize their productivity and impact.
- Collaborator and communicator. You excel at managing projects across different teams. You're able to prioritize and manage dependencies and expectations of multiple stakeholders effectively and efficiently.
- An engineer at heart. Although you won’t be judged on your coding ability you will be regularly involved in system design conversations so a background in software development is required.
- A visionary. We’re still just getting started so you have the opportunity to shape our data strategy as we continue to grow.
Working at Jungle Scout
- The BEST team.
- Remote-first culture.
- International Retreats.
- Access to Jungle Scout tools & experts.
- Performance Bonus.
- Flexible Vacation.
- Comprehensive Health Benefits & Retirement Program (US and Canada)
We prioritize Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion At Jungle Scout, we hire great people from a wide variety of backgrounds, not just because it’s the right thing to do, but because it makes our company stronger.
Jungle Scout is committed to creating a diverse environment and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, or veteran status.
All offers of employment at Jungle Scout are contingent upon clear results of a comprehensive background check. Background checks will be conducted on all final candidates prior to start date.
Salary and compensation
$100,000 — $200,000/year
North America and South AmericaSee more jobs at Jungle Scout