Backend Software Engineer, Reliability
About the opportunity
The goal of the Infrastructure Reliability team is to provide a highly available platform so that we can meet our SLAs for performance and uptime with a high volume traffic and sustained growth.
Contentful’s customers run a wide range of deployments that consume our API. Our micro-service architecture needs to be highly available and provide consistent performance, with the challenge of customers generating diverse sets of workloads depending on their own data structure and usage patterns, along with significant growth in traffic.
What to expect?
We manage a modern stack starting from CDNs at the outer layer to a micro-services based backend architecture running on Kubernetes in the AWS Cloud. The team is focused on improving the resilience and performance of this stack.
While our product teams build, deploy, run, maintain and own their services, you will be engaged with challenges and innovations about the cloud infrastructure stack.
What you need to be successful?
- Experience in building, scaling or managing production web services
- Ability to dive into new languages, frameworks and APIs
- Some experience working with Container Orchestration tools (we use Kubernetes)
- Motivated to guide your own learning and contribute in a supportive team environment
- Strong English communication skills, verbal and written (German not required).
We know that people come with different profiles, and strong candidates may have experience with 1 or more of the below points.
- Familiarity with monitoring, configuration management, logs search and querying
- Familiarity with production deployments in the cloud (especially AWS), preferably using orchestration tools (we mainly use Terraform).
- Knowledge of data stores such as PostgreSQL, Redis, S3 and MySQL.
- Building and operating Microservices
- Scaling distributed systems.
- Knowledge of TCP/IP Stack including networking/routing, load-balancing and caching/CDNs
What's in it for you?
- Join an ambitious tech company reshaping the way people build digital products.
- We set you up for success, equipping you with the latest and greatest hardware
- Enjoy a full range of events, including workshops, Contentful-hosted meetups, guest speakers and team activities. Meet your team members from across the globe at our annual offsite.
- Get fit! We offer a variety of health and fitness classes and a discount on Urban Sports Club.
- We value our employees health and safety. Our teams are working remotely during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Use your personal education budget to improve your skills and grow in your career. Join a free German class or one of our many internal learning initiatives!
- Plus, ! Oh yeah!
Who are we?
Contentful powers digital experiences for 28% of the Fortune 500 companies and thousands of global brands. Our content platform unifies content in a single hub, structures it for use in any digital channel and integrates seamlessly with hundreds of tools through open APIs. It lets developers and content creators work in parallel, increasing team efficiency and happiness. Companies such as Co-op, Spotify, Bang&Olufson, N26, Swarovski use Contentful to build their mobile and web products, voice controlled apps and more.
We’re growing rapidly and are backed by over $150 million in funding from top-tier venture capital firms like Sapphire Ventures, Salesforce Ventures, General Catalyst and Benchmark.
More than 400 people from 70 nations contribute their energy and creativity to Contentful, working from hubs in Berlin, San Francisco and distributed around the world.
Everyone is welcome here!
“Everyone is welcome here” — is a celebrated component of our culture. At Contentful, we strive to create an inclusive environment that empowers our employees. We believe that our products and services benefit from our diverse backgrounds and experiences and are proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applications will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, physical [dis]ability or length of time spent unemployed. We invite you to apply and join us!
By clicking “Apply for this job,” I acknowledge that I have read the “”, and hereby acknowledge and accept the collection, processing, use, and storage of my personal data as described therein.