Support Analyst (Contractor)
Headquarters: Remote - US
- We know that we’re better together.
- We're always learning and growing.
- We shape our own destiny.
- We build relationships that matter.
’s remote-only team is growing quickly and we’re currently looking for a Service Desk Analyst Contractor who wants to make a difference on a growing Customer Services team. This is a contract, full-time remote position, available to folks located in the continental US only.
This job is not run-of-the-mill, typical or traditional.
- Do you thrive helping people solve complex problems?
- Are your people skills your best asset?
- Do you love helping entrepreneurs shape their destiny?
Who you are:
- You’re a support professional. Customer service is your thing. You delight in details and have mastered the art of reading subtext so you truly “hear” the unspoken detail of what customers are asking. You are extremely patient (Sales tax is complex and can be painful to understand. Our goal is to ease that pain.) and you’re able to approach success from the customer’s point of view and explain complex concepts in easy to understand language. You’re also courteous, a skilled de-escalator, adaptable and open to feedback.
- You’re a skilled writer. We mean it--you’re seriously good. Beyond the basics of grammar and punctuation, you’re a champion listener--you understand exactly where your customer is in their problem-solving journey. From there, you’re able to explain just what they need to know in response to their question, and phrase your response in a way that’s a perfect fit for that customer’s specific scenario. You know how to read the room support ticket and strike a balance of not too much information, and not too little...but just the right amount of detail! You’ll also put your wordsmithing skills to use by contributing to our customer-facing Knowledge Base, responding to questions in our Customer Community and adding helpful resources to our internal Wiki.
- You enjoy wading a little deeper into the waters of technology. You don’t need to be an Engineer or know how to code, but this Support team uses tools like SumoLogic and Postman, as well as along with internal databases and analysis tools to debug customer questions about our sales tax API. We’ll teach you how to use the tools--but it’s a bonus if you’re already familiar with these!
- Collaboration makes you happy. We’re a team that’s always looking for a way to make things better--whether that means meticulously documenting customer feedback to share with other internal teams or breaking down our workday processes and brainstorming ways to improve them and make our team’s workflow a bit more efficient.
- Documentation is your first step for troubleshooting everything. We operate using the , which means that our workday is a cycle of consulting existing documentation from previous cases to solve new cases. And, when you work on a case with an outcome that hasn’t yet been documented, you’ll create internal Wiki documentation and customer facing KB or community content for that scenario after the case is resolved.
- You’re a pro at managing and prioritizing information flow - Our internal teams are always working on something new and new projects and initiatives progress at a fast pace. Most detail about what’s happening cross-functionally is shared in writing, which means a firehose of information gets posted to our company communication platform every day. We recommend some helpful ways to prioritize the items that are important to your day to day responsibilities. But, you’ll also need to be comfortable experimenting to find the flow of information that works best for you, to ensure you stay in the know about the things that affect your role as a Service Desk Analyst.
- You motivate yourself. We’re always learning and growing, both individually and as a team. You’ll be a great fit on this team if a focus on continual improvement is already an important value of your own.
- You love working as part of a team. This is a fully remote team, so you’re confident in your customer support skills and comfortable working asynchronously with a focus on process and documentation to guide your decision-making. But, we’re also customer-facing, so we work schedules that pretty closely align to “office hours'' to ensure our customers’ needs are met. And because our workload is often connected to a customer waiting for an answer, we’re sensitive to quickly acknowledging and responding to our support team’s internal requests for assistance and guidance. So, even though we’re all in different locations in our own office spaces, we’re ready and willing as a team to spring into action with resources, ideas and suggestions if one of the team needs help!
What you’ll do here:
- Provide exceptional customer service responding to phone, e-mail, chat and community support requests with a sense of urgency.
- Learn (it’s a big topic!) as it relates to TaxJar’s products and services and be knowledgeable to patiently and courteously communicate this information to our customers.
- Categorize and respond to support and billing questions about our product, as well as sales tax compliance. The Frontline team resolves the majority of questions we receive, though there will be some cases that will require you to do some research and troubleshooting before escalating to other teams.
- Collaborate with team members around ways to improve workflow and efficiency--just because a process is done one way today doesn’t mean it should stay that way forever. We’re always looking for ways to improve on existing processes and workflows and everyone’s ideas are heard, respected and thoughtfully considered.
- Clearly identify, document, and track customer requests, feedback issues and product problems in our company’s feedback tools in order to capture the voice of our customers for cross functional teams.
- Bring your curiosity to work every day! Asking the “why” and “how” questions is a great way to dig past the surface of a question or problem on the path to resolution.
- Take an active role in contributing to our internal and external documentation
- Escalate critical customer situations to the appropriate level of management and Tier 2 support
- Play an play an impactful role in a culture that prioritizes shipping products and going to market quickly
What you’ve previously done:
- Spent 2+ years in eCommerce or SaaS support or customer service experience within the technical industry
- Worked in a fast-paced, high volume support environment
- Written content for a knowledge base or Wiki
- Demonstrated success exceeding customer expectations
TaxJar is a human-first company.
People are accepted and free to be who they are.
We embrace that diversity, equity, inclusion and belonging are essential sources of creativity and innovation that bring a richness of thinking and experience to the work that is celebrated at TaxJar. Simply put, we care. We will always put people - our team and our customers - first, by supporting our people to do their best work building products our customers love.
Our formula is simple. We believe we have an elevated level of responsibility in everything we do. This means we empower our team to do the right thing for each other and for our customers, and we do the right thing, even when it's harder. We’ve built a team based on trust, that endeavors to maximize our team members’ individual talents so our workplace creates a sense of meaning and belonging for everyone.
Read our 2020 Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Belonging report .
and we all really love what we do. We've created a space where high-achievers can succeed, but are also safe to fail. We're profitable and focused on growing TaxJar sustainably. We're always learning how to make TaxJar the best place to work for all of us, and not just another tech startup. We’re always looking for amazing new teammates to come share in the excitement of solving real-world problems with technology.