Senior Grants Specialist
Tides is a foundation and non-profit partner committed to building a world of shared prosperity and social justice. Founded in 1976, Tides’ accelerates the pace of social change, working with innovative partners to solve the world’s toughest problems. Tides focuses on equality and human rights; a sustainable environment; healthy individuals and communities; education; and economic development. Tides’ services include donor-advised funds, fiscal sponsorship, and shared spaces. For more information, please visit www.tides.org.
The Senior Grants Specialist will partner with cross-functional teams, including client services, legal, finance, to provide exceptional grant making expertise and service for Tides’ philanthropic partners and grantees. This is a dynamic role that works closely with high-touch clients to facilitate strategic grant making in a fast-paced environment. The primary responsibilities of this role are to help the grants manager lead the team’s strategic projects and grant making due diligence and facilitation for high-touch clients. A successful candidate will be comfortable working in an administrative role while applying a critical and strategic eye to improving the team’s operations.
The Senior Grants Specialist is an exempt position. Exempt employees are expected to work the appropriate and necessary time in order to complete key assignments and related tasks on schedule.
This job is for you if:
- You have experience in high volume grantmaking through donor advised funds
- You have strong experience working with clients and are stellar about follow through when responding to internal and external client inquiries
- You have a strategic mind but would also enjoy supporting the organization’s mission in an administrative capacity as necessary
- You have a strong work ethic; you are organized, timely, and efficient; you are adaptable and open to change; you thrive in a fast-paced work environment
- You are technically savvy and able to learn new systems and processes quickly; you have a knack for improving processes
- You are collaborative and able to build positive relationships with internal stakeholders
The right candidate will be willing and able to:
Management and Leadership
- Help to lead major department change initiatives and assists with project management related to grant making enhancements or other organizational change initiatives as needed
- Help to lead the grants management systems implementation and further configuration as needed
- Assist with the supervision of the grants administrator
- Work with the grants team to process weekly incoming grant recommendations with a focus on assigned, high-touch matrix clients
- Prioritize grants for due diligence based on risk, client need, and complexity
- Facilitate the grant making process from recommendation through post-award by communicating and building relationships with grantees, internal staff, and clients
- Communicate with domestic and international grantees to gather information and ensure compliance with IRS regulations and Tides grant making policies and procedures
- Assist with review of grantee banking information and management of outstanding payment issues
- Generate, edit, and review grant award letters to ensure accuracy of terms and conditions and to reflect client’s intent
- Create and maintain grant files to meet legal and Tides policy requirements
- Provide support and oversight of grant record-keeping
- Coordinate processes for post-award grant tracking, and reporting requirements
- Follow up on reporting with grantees and informs client-facing staff
- Gather and records grant data, ensures data integrity, and participates in administration of grant making database
- Apply IRS rules and grant making compliance procedures for Expenditure Responsibility reporting and tracking of lobbying expenses
- Stay up to date with relevant policies, regulations, and trends in grants management
- Contribute to the due diligence and compliance best practices for new grant making funds
Collaboration and Teamwork
- Develop and maintains best practices for grant making by designing workflow processes to facilitate grants administration
- Identify and recommend process and workflow improvements
- Update grant making processes and training materials on a regular basis
- Build and maintain strong partnerships with all team members; builds and maintains working relationships with other departments and entities across the Tides Network
- Assist with new staff training
- Comfort or desire to work in an operational, administrative role while utilizing critical, strategic thinking to constantly improve internal processes and goals
- Ability to hold self and others accountable for high-quality, timely, and effective results
- Demonstrated commitment to meeting the needs of internal and external clients; ability to strive for high level of satisfaction
- Strong ability to cooperate and work collaboratively toward solutions that generally benefit all involved parties
- Demonstrates ability to engage in a direct and truthful manner; ability to present accurate and appropriate information
- Demonstrated ability to hold information confidential with excellent judgment
- High attention to detail with strong organizational skills
- Creative problem-solving skills and the ability to apply principles and critical thinking skills to complex situations
- Ability to work well under high pressure with frequent interruptions, prioritize changing workloads in order to meet tight deadlines, and work both independently and as a member of a team
- Strong written and verbal communication skills, including the ability to work well by telephone and email
- Ability to demonstrate sensitivity to and appreciation for diverse viewpoints and different communication styles in a multicultural environment
- Strong computer skills particularly with databases, word processing, and spreadsheets. Experience with system implementation is a plus. Knowledge of web-and electronic-based document management tools and practices. Ability to graphically represent data and concepts
- Ability to appreciate and contribute to a work environment that values integrity, adaptability, reliability, collaboration, a commitment to learning, and a sense of humor
- Undergraduate degree
- 3-4+ years of professional experience
Get to know the team:
Tides grants team is both a strategic and administrative team that interacts directly with the client services department, finance, and strategic partnerships to provide consultative and collaborative support to facilitate grant making to promising social change organizations, ideas, and movements. This team helps drive Tides’ success as a high functioning compliance and relationship management group that thrives on coming up with innovative solutions to support our clients and their work.
What’s in it for you?
Tides offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental and vision. Tides contributes to employee Health Savings Accounts (HSA). Tides matches employee contributions to a retirement plan and the employer match is 100% vested immediately. Tides also covers Basic life insurance, Basic AD&D & LTD for all eligible employees at no cost.
All employees start with 3 weeks of vacation and receive 12 paid holidays. Employees also receive 2 additional optional holidays per year in observance of other holidays and a birthday holiday. We offer competitive nonprofit salaries.
We have flexible work arrangements to make you comfortable including outdoor patio work areas, comfy work/lounge space, standing desk options, cubicles and open or private work spaces.
Why work for Tides?
- We have incredible clients and partners both domestically and internationally who are working towards a world of shared prosperity and social justice.
- We are serious about promoting sustainable commute options, including a free shuttle to and from downtown San Francisco and award-winning bicycle infrastructure, including secure bike parking, locker rooms, and bike share program.
- Tides was a pioneer in collaborative workspaces for nonprofits and we share our offices, located in a renovated military hospital, with 75 other nonprofits and social enterprises, creating a vibrant community of mission-aligned changemakers that get together regularly for happy hours, educational sessions, and holiday celebrations.
- Tides’ San Francisco offices are located in a National Park with views of the Golden Gate Bridge. The National Park, called the Presidio, is an outdoor recreation hub with miles of forested trails, outdoor art installations (including by the famed Andy Goldsworthy), and scenic overlooks perfect for strolling, exercising, or taking meetings outside.
- Tides has a robust staff engagement program, including regular cultural celebrations like a Chinese New Year pig roast and Black History Month film outings.
- Tides has a bi-coastal presence, with an office right across the street from the New York Stock Exchange building.
- The work is awesome, the people are awesome and we think there’s no better place to make an impact
Please submit a resume and a thoughtful cover letter online. Your cover letter should express your interest in working for Tides and your qualifications for the role. You may also share your detailed LinkedIn profile with us. Tides is an Equal Opportunity employer. We value diversity and inclusion and we look forward to reviewing applications from all who are qualified to apply.
Equal Employment Opportunity:
Tides is an equal opportunity employer. We strongly encourage applications from women, people of color, and bilingual and bicultural individuals, as well as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender communities. Applicants shall not be discriminated against because of race, religion, sex, national origin, ethnicity, age, disability, political affiliation, sexual orientation, gender identity, color, marital status, or medical condition including acquired immune deficiency syndrome (AIDS) and AIDS-related conditions. Also pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we encourage and will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
Applicants with Disabilities:
Reasonable accommodation will be made so that qualified disabled applicants may participate in the application process. If you seek an accommodation, please advise in writing at the time you apply.