Human Resources Manager
Global Energy Monitor seeks a Human Resources Manager to coordinate employment, compensation, benefits, training, and other HR functions in support of a growing team of energy researchers and analysts.
According to the IPCC, we have only a decade to make massive and unprecedented changes in the global economy to avoid dangerous climate change. To meet that challenge, Global Energy Monitor is creating trackers and other tools to provide detailed information on the global energy system
About Global Energy Monitor
Global Energy Monitor (GEM) is a network of researchers developing information for the worldwide climate and clean energy movement. Since the organization’s founding in 2007, GEM’s research has become an essential tool for activists, journalists, policy makers, and scientists. GEM’s data and reports are used and cited by organizations ranging from Greenpeace to The Wall Street Journal. GEM’s information is used by Bloomberg Terminals, the International Energy Agency, the IPCC, Climate Analytics, Carbon Tracker Initiative, and scores of others.
Position Summary and Duties
Reporting to the Finance and Operations Director, the Human Resources Manager will support Global Energy Monitor’s current staff as well as the recruitment and onboarding of new team members.
Please note: GEM does not have a central office; employees work from home offices and need not be based in the United States.
Specific duties include:
- Maintaining GEM’s Employee Handbook, including periodically reviewing and updating policies
- Maintaining the roster of current staff members
- Writing job descriptions and advertising current openings
- Managing GEM's organizational strategy to increase the diversity of its staff, and taking a leading role in recruitment outreach efforts
- Managing job applications and screening candidates
- Hiring and onboarding new team members
- Contract management, including supporting long-term staff contractors
- Administering health, retirement, and other benefits
- Managing GEM’s vacation/sick day system
- Coordinating monthly payroll and other compensation
- Providing ad hoc support for GEM employees and contractors
- Managing compliance with local, state, and federal regulations for employers
- Supporting other administrative functions at GEM as needed
Global Energy Monitor is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All employment determinations at GEM are based exclusively on the needs of the organization, specific job requirements, and a candidate’s individual qualifications. These determinations are made without regard to race, ethnicity, nationality, religion or belief, age, physical, mental, and/or sensory disability, sex, orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital status, medical history, or military service. GEM is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
Experience and Skills
Desired qualifications include:
- 2+ years of experience in nonprofit HR, operations, administration, or other relevant work
- Resourcefulness, attention to detail, and superior organizational skills
- Some experience with payroll administration preferred
- Some experience with benefit administration (health insurance, retirement plans, etc.) preferred
- Ability to use computer-based HR tools and software
- Ability to solve complex problems and work with large amounts of information
- Ability to work with private and/or confidential information
- Excellent writing and communications skills
- Demonstrated commitment to social and environmental justice
Pay and Benefits
This is a full-time, work-from-home position. Compensation is competitive and will be based on relevant experience.
This position may work either four or five days per week.
- Health, dental, and vision insurance coverage with 100% employer-paid premiums
- Long-term disability and worker’s compensation insurance
- 403(b) retirement savings plan with employer match
- 4 weeks paid vacation
- Paid holidays, sick leave, and other leave
- Support for continuing professional development
- Reimbursement for home office expenses
How to Apply
Please apply at the link below:
A resume and cover letter are required to complete the application. Writing samples and contact information for references do not need to be submitted now, but may be requested later.
Only applications submitted via this link will be considered. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis, and this listing will remain open until filled.