Software Engineer - Web
FlightAware is looking for a software engineer to join our web development team. Our web applications serve almost 3 million unique users each month, spanning the spectrum from aviation industry professionals to the casual traveler. These web apps are backed by the most comprehensive flight-tracking data and intelligence in the industry—we process over 50 million incoming messages per hour from over 30,000 individual data feeds (over 175 gigabytes a day and growing) to provide the world’s best, most complete, and most accurate real-time flight-tracking service.
This is a full-time role. Our team is headquartered in Houston, Texas, but we work as a distributed team and accept remote applicants.
Must have current work authorization for any employer in the US and not require sponsorship now or in the future.
This person is naturally curious, exploring new technologies to stay current but balancing the use of new and old to ensure that execution is the priority. Professionally, this person is driven to execute, deliver, and complete projects independently, seeking advice and direction from team members when needed, and pushing ahead to completion when the path forward is clear.
Regardless of role, we expect excellent interpersonal and communication skills across all hires at FlightAware. We look for candidates who will thrive here, meaning they demonstrate clear communication, embrace open feedback, trust their colleagues, and are driven to execute, deliver, and complete projects independently and efficiently.
Technically, this person should be conversant with how web content is delivered. This includes web servers (Apache, nginx, lighttpd) and caching technologies (memcached, Varnish, content delivery networks) and how these technologies interoperate. This person should also be comfortable maintaining and evolving server- and client-side software in a collaborative environment.
Ideally, you have:
- Strong experience with at least one server-side language (PHP, C#, Python, etc.)
- At a minimum, a working knowledge of RDBMS (PostgreSQL, MySQL, or similar)
- Experience with Git or other source-control, especially on collaborative projects
- Experience with Tcl and jQuery
- A pilot’s certificate or interest in aviation
- Create robust and scalable website features that showcase our world-class data for end-users.
- Design, build, and maintain reusable UI components across our frontend products.
- Detect issues, identify their root causes, develop fixes, and design auditing to prevent future occurrences.
- Design, develop, test, deploy, maintain, and enhance software products.
Education: A bachelor's or master's degree in computer science or software engineering, or equivalent experience.