Regional Advocacy Manager (Northeast)
Compassion & Choices is seeking a Regional Advocacy Manager (Northeast) to help advance our medical outreach and education efforts across the country.
The Regional Advocacy Manager is primarily responsible for managing state teams to authorize, expand access, protect, and improve medical aid in dying and the full range of end-of-life options. This position is responsible for providing campaign management in collaboration with the National Advocacy Director consistent with Compassion & Choices’ mission. This position is responsible for effectively building the capacity of local groups, running state campaigns, ensuring access, and cultivating development opportunities.
This is a full-time, remotely-located (but Massachusetts strongly preferred), paid position reporting to the National Advocacy Director. Compensation offered will be commensurate with experience.
Core job duties include:
- Advise states on legislative campaigns and ballot strategies, along with the National Advocacy Director and Chief Advocacy Officer, according to an annual implementation plan in targeted geographic areas.
- Coordinate the entire range of campaign activities including strategic campaign planning in assigned priority states. Provide direct supervision and day-to-day activities, as agreed upon with the National Advocacy Director.
- Work with the National Advocacy Director and Chief Advocacy Officer to develop and manage a budget that achieves Compassion & Choices’ strategic priorities in assigned states. Ensure full integration of Compassion & Choices programs/policies.
- Work on the following: legislative targeting, development of materials/collateral, grassroots activism/ recruitment, fundraising, media and lobbying while managing internal structures and processes.
- Oversee contractor and lobbyist contracts and assist them in navigating internal C&C structures, policies and practices.
- Recruit, train and manage local action teams and volunteers in campaign states, near-next states, authorized states and assigned constituency groups to become successful campaign leaders in collaboration with the National Volunteer Program to build broader support for the end-of-life choice movement.
- Apply best practices to develop and implement customized, strategic technical assistance plans necessary to support legislators, legislative staffers and key healthcare industry stakeholders (regulatory agencies, allied organizations, academic policy experts, and other governmental and non-governmental agencies) in both campaign and authorized states, leveraging areas of common interest to achieve our goals.
Preferred Qualifications (You will be a good fit):
Education and Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree in a related field (e.g., Political Science, Public Policy, Law, Journalism) - or equivalent combination of education and/or experience.
- Five (5) years directly related experience (or an equivalent combination of education and experience) which includes:
- Demonstrated knowledge of local, state and federal government activities and structures; the ability to assess the local and state governments as they relate to policy/advocacy issues and activities.
- Demonstrated understanding in advocacy/public policy, community organization/mobilization, media/communications, and grassroots advocacy tactic development and implementation.
- Experience working on a political or issue campaign strongly preferred.
- Experience supervising staff and/or volunteers
- Project management skills: Ability to simultaneously manage multiple, complex projects in varying stages of development under time constraints.
- Knowledgeable about issues of choice, ethics, health and social justice.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
About Compassion & Choices
Across the nation, Compassion & Choices works to create a society that affirms life and accepts the inevitability of death, embraces expanded options for compassionate dying, and empowers everyone to choose end-of-life care that reflects their values, priorities and beliefs. To make this vision a reality, we improve care, expand options and empower everyone to chart their end-of-life journey.