Executive Assistant and Board Liason
Chief Operating Officer
is a network of remarkable leaders in the U.S. and Canada who work deeply within their communities to create alternative approaches to business, philanthropy, and investing. Our network is made up of local economy leaders, place-based foundation professionals, and impact investors who are poised to share knowledge, expertise, and resources. We envision an economy where wealth is redistributed, power is democratized, and economic control is shifted to marginalized communities. We work as a “think and do tank” that enables collaboration, ideation, and adoption of economic models that empower communities that have been the most marginalized. We are a 21 person organization (and growing). Our culture values , collaboration, intellectual curiosity, and experimentation.
Common Future is seeking an organized self-starter to support the Chief Operating Officer and the Executive Team. The Executive Assistant and Board Liaison (EA/BL) will provide administrative and operational support, including support to the CEO in coordinating and engaging with the Board of Directors. The EA/BL will help a recently expanded Executive Team by taking on administrative or project related tasks and enabling the team to focus on organization-wide priorities. More focus will be placed on working with the COO and CEO, with occasional support to the VP of People Operations and other members of the Executive Team. The EA/BL will be a right-hand to the COO, with the ability to anticipate needs and make independent decisions, proactively problem solve, and identify and implement effective solutions even when there is a lack of a clear process.
- Manage logistics for internal meetings including scheduling, supporting agenda development, facilitating, note-taking, communicating to key stakeholders, following up on action items, and setting up the appropriate tools and technology, such as Slack, Zoom, Hopin, or Mural.
- Contribute to the scheduling, planning, and logistics for other team meetings as requested, e.g. Equity, Culture, or Knowledge Management.
- When travel resumes, coordinate travel arrangements for CEO, COO, and other Exec Team members as requested, including booking travel, preparing itinerary, providing supplies, coordinating with trip hosts, and completing expense reports.
- Take notes at meetings and assist with related follow-up tasks and reminders.
- Support the preparation of meetings and other engagements by generating background information, writing draft emails or other communications, and preparing other materials.
- Coordinate the details involved in presenting and speaking, including coordinating and communicating with key stakeholders, developing, editing, and sharing materials, following up on action items, and surveying participants.
- Support People Operations by supporting back-office management, conducting research on best people practices and policies, and leading team-building activities.
- Support the CEO in engaging the Board of Directors through scheduling and planning agendas.
- Manage relationships with the Board of Directors through consistent communications, compiling thorough and timely board reports.
- Prepare materials and support logistics for Board meetings and retreats
- Maintain documentation on Board activities & members.
- Help facilitate and take meeting minutes for quarterly Board Meetings, monthly Board Committee Meetings (Executive, Finance, Recruiting), and board retreats.
- Coordinate with staff to develop reports in preparation for formal board meetings or in preparation for ad hoc, strategic meetings.
- Support the Board in the creation of relevant memos or documents.
- Support the Board with appropriate follow-up on action items and priorities.
- Implement new systems and tools for greater board development and integration with Common Future staff.
- High interest and skill in supporting the operations of a growing organization.
- High interest and passion for racial justice, economic justice, equity, and the work of Common Future.
- Highly motivated, independent, and self-directed individual ready to support the COO, CEO, and other senior staff to improve the administrative functioning of the organization with minimal specific direction.
- Experience with online and in-person event planning and logistics related to supporting C-Suite and Board of Directors.
- Detail-oriented with strong verbal, written, and visual communication skills.
- Experience with productivity software and meeting technology such as Zoom, Hopin, Asana, GSuite, a plus.
- Adept at project management with a keen understanding of timelines, scheduling, and reminders.
- Strong customer service orientation with the ability to assess what’s coming up, anticipate needs, and proactively do what’s needed.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, along with diplomacy, tact, and humor.
- Entrepreneurial style, with an enthusiasm for working in a dynamic, fast-paced environment.