Arizona Community Organizer
Now Hiring! Arizona One Fair Wage Lead Organizer Position
ABOUT ONE FAIR WAGE
The One Fair Wage campaign is a national campaign to win a full, fair minimum wage for 6 million tipped and other sub-minimum wage workers across the country through state and federal law. Originally founded by the Restaurant Opportunities Centers (ROC) United, a national restaurant workers’ organization, the OFW campaign spun off into a broader, separate entity fighting for a full, fair wage for all tipped and sub-minimum wage workers, including tipped restaurant workers, nail salon and car wash workers, drivers and delivery workers at app-based companies, etc. Today, One Fair Wage legislation is moving in multiple states and in Congress.
With tipped service workers especially hard-hit during the Covid-19 pandemic, often earning too little for unemployment and the stimulus, the One Fair Wage Emergency Fund was established in March 2020 to provide cash relief to workers in need. Thousands in Arizona have applied. Organizing is currently all virtual (phone, email, social media, zoom calls, etc.) until when and if conditions are safe for in-person organizing.
We are seeking an Organizer to conduct outreach, identify and develop leaders, and mobilize tipped service workers in support of the One Fair Wage policy campaign. The Organizer will identify tipped and subminimum wage worker leaders who will both get engaged in the campaign for One Fair Wage in NY and sign up their peers into our relational (peer-to-peer) voter mobilization program designed to get low wage workers out to vote in 2020. This will help build the political power needed to win One Fair Wage in New York and, ultimately, at the federal level.
One Fair Wage AZ Organizer Responsibilities:
- Identify and develop low-wage service worker leaders who will recruit their peers into the program
- Support worker outreach, leadership development, and regular mobilizations in AZ (virtually and in person once safe) that target key legislators and demonstrate worker power to win One Fair Wage.
- Support the development and implementation of a legislative targeting strategy, and support local press events and other communications efforts, and more.
- Leverage social media, the OFW Emergency Fund, Zoom calls, workers’ greater accessibility at home and more to creatively expand organizing during shelter-at-home, social distancing and other orders to maintain public health and personal safety through the Covid-19 pandemic.
Ideally, the Organizer will already have networks of other tipped service workers. The Organizer will report directly to the Director of Organizing.
- 1+ years experience as a tipped worker;
- Basic understanding of /exposure to labor or community member organizing and base-building;
- Basic understanding of /exposure to coalition building, and understanding of member leadership development;
- Basic understanding of /exposure to policy campaigns;
- Maintenance of a professional attitude, strong ethical practice and a willingness to learn and grow;
- Strong communication and leadership skills, including active listening and empathy;
- Commitment to racial, social, and economic justice; and significant experience and ease working collaboratively with persons of diverse racial and ethnic backgrounds, socioeconomic status, ages, and sexual orientations;
- Willingness to travel when/if safe, mostly in Arizona, and periodically elsewhere in the country. A valid driver’s license, access to a vehicle and auto insurance coverage when driving are needed;
- Comfort learning or knowledge of computer software and apps, including Google Suite, Zoom, VAN, Facebook/other social media, Empower or WAVE relational voter programs, Slack, Asana;
- Readiness to reach qualitative and quantitative goals;
- Fluency in another language welcomed;
- Resident of Arizona.
OFW will consider candidates who are available a minimum of half-time through full-time. Please indicate your hours availability when you apply.
Women, people of color, and immigrants are strongly encouraged to apply. Please send resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.