Director of Legal Services
SIREN Seeks a Director of Legal Services
Reports To: Deputy Director
Location: San Jose, California or Fresno, California
Position: Full-time, exempt position
Salary Range: Based on experience, plus comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, and vision insurance, transportation and fitness reimbursement, as well as eligibility for Public Service Loan Forgiveness
OVERVIEW OF SIREN (Services, Immigrant Rights, & Education Network)
SIREN combines community organizing, policy advocacy, civic engagement, community outreach, education, and legal services to empower low-income immigrants and refugees in California. We believe our clients and all immigrants are agents of change and we prepare them for leadership in all four of these program areas.
The Immigration Legal Services Director manages SIREN’s immigration services legal department. The Immigration Legal Services Director is responsible for the strategic effectiveness of all of legal service areas and contracts. The position will be a part of the Leadership Team that drives the strategy for the organization and represents SIREN on a local, regional, and national basis.
- Program leadership and management
- External relationships and communications
- Executive Director collaboration and support
- Leadership for SIREN’s immigration legal services program
Program Leadership & Management
- Enhance, operationalize, implement, evaluate, and lead SIREN’s Strategic Plan of our four program areas: integrating SIREN’s Legal Services with our Community Organizing, Civic Engagement, and Policy Advocacy work.
- Ensure ongoing programmatic excellence
- Support the consistent quality of budgeting, fundraising, communications, and operational systems for program performance
- Attract, develop, coach, and retain team members
- Coordinate staff training and professional development in collaboration with Leadership Team
- Provide leadership in development of inter-department communication and cohesiveness, sustaining A positive and thriving organizational culture
- Develop and implement strategies that will maximize the synergies among program areas
- Work with development staff to sustain organizational sustainability by developing project ideas, drafting and reviewing proposals, and engaging in funder outreach and relations
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities in Northern CA and the Central Valley to support existing programs of SIREN and the growth in Central Valley
- Cultivate existing and new relationships with funders and other like-minded organizations and allies.
- Manage relationships with local media and respond to interview requests
- Oversee and contribute to the communications material created, designed, and distributed to the public and funders
- Write op-eds and letters to the editor on pertinent immigrant rights issues
- Provide trainings and presentations to community members, service providers, grassroots organizations and advocates on immigrant rights issues
Executive Director Collaboration and Support
- Assist in creating and carrying out organizational policies
- Act as back up as needed
- Assist with strategic planning and organizational development
- Assist with staff meeting and staff retreats
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the legal services department.
Leadership for SIREN’s Immigration Legal Services Program
- Oversee and develop the type of clinics and legal services provided
- Develop, implement, and maintain protocols for the delivery of legal services and interdisciplinary team work
- Directly supervise and evaluate the Supervising Attorney and legal team
- Oversee strategic litigation, including amicus and appellate maters and individual cases as appropriate
- Oversee the operation of the multilingual phone lines to provide accurate information and appropriate referrals
- Preferred member of, and in good standing with the State Bar of California (willingness and eligibility to register as a California legal services attorney with 3 years). This position is open to other State Bars
- Ability to work efficiently, effectively, and compassionately under pressure and in crisis situations
- Well-organized, motivate, creative and able to work in a team-oriented, interdisciplinary environment
- Significant immigration practice experience
- Experience supervising attorneys and professional level staff
- Excellent verbal, interpersonal, public speaking and writing skills
- Experience managing contracts and / or grants
- Knowledge of immigration issues, including removal defense, family based immigration and, naturalizations, DACA and public benefits
- Ability to use or quickly learn MS Office applications, CRM database, INS Zoom, and other software
- Bilingual/ Bi-literate in Spanish or Asian language
- Experience working with media
- Experience fundraising for non-profit programs
- Experience working with volunteers
- Ability to work weekends, evenings, and travel as needed.
- Must have a valid CA Driver’s License, car insurance, and daily access to a car.
To Apply: Please email a cover letter, resume, writing sample (no more than three pages) and three references with subject line – Legal Services Director Application.
SIREN is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to developing the skills and leadership of people from diverse backgrounds, especially individuals from immigrant and refugee communities. People of color, immigrants, women, gay men, lesbians, transgendered persons, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to seek employment at SIREN.
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: From $95,000.00 per year