UX Strategist (Remote)
Character Lab is looking for a UX Strategist. Reporting to the Director of User Experience, the UX Strategist will oversee our user research and design-thinking processes. Through this work, they will help develop processes and digital products that support scientists, educators, strategic partners, and employees. We especially encourage applicants who identify as Black, Latinx, or Native American to apply for this position. This is an exciting opportunity for a user-centered, innovative professional to have an impact by ensuring we develop systems to advance scientific insights that help kids thrive.
About Character Lab
Founded in 2013 by two educators (Dave Levin and Dominic Randolph) and one scientist (Angela Duckworth), Character Lab is a nonprofit dedicated to advancing scientific insights that help kids thrive. By connecting researchers with educators, Character Lab seeks to create greater knowledge about the conditions that lead to social, emotional, academic, and physical well-being for young people throughout the country. To learn more, go to.
Our culture is both challenging (we’re never done improving) and supportive (one of our core values is excessive generosity). To learn more, read our.
- Lead full cycles of user research—from open-ended discovery to concept testing—including writing surveys and scripts, moderating interviews, and overseeing analysis that leads to actionable strategic recommendations.
- Coach team members across the organization on design-thinking mindset and skills, including user research, ideation, and prototyping.
- Lead projects with a strong user-centered lens. Some examples include facilitating engaging and productive ideation workshops, building clear journey maps and system diagrams, and wireframing and prototyping processes and products.
- Additional responsibilities as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree and 3-6 years of professional experience or in place of a bachelor’s degree, 5-10 years of professional experience in UX strategy, user research, UX design, and/or product management
- Ability to gather and prioritize needs and synthesize into effective user research scripts
- Expertise in building clear user flows and wireframes
- Exceptional organizational and project management skills
- Strong attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to build strong partnerships with diverse stakeholders, especially in communities of historically marginalized people
- Ability to think critically and identify system improvements
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Demonstrated resilience
- Ability to influence a team to see possibilities beyond present circumstances
- Fierce work ethic and sense of purpose, with the ability to work collaboratively as part of a dynamic start-up
Physical Demands/Environmental Factors
- Prolonged and irregular hours of duty, as necessary
- Occasional travel for work-related responsibilities and needs (once safe travel can resume)
Character Lab has a Distributed Workplace policy, which means that we fully support employees working remotely from any U.S. location. Employees decide whether to work remotely or on-site at our office headquarters in Philadelphia.
Character Lab strives to ensure our culture and operations support all staff equitably. We support effective office environments for all staff, whether in our headquarters, a local coworking space, or a home office.
Character Lab is an equal opportunity employer and encourages a diverse pool of candidates to apply. We accept applications on a rolling basis. Please submit a compelling cover letter with your resume.
Compensation and Benefits
Competitive salary is commensurate with an individual’s experience and skills. All full-time employees receive a comprehensive benefits package