Senior Associate, Communications
TITLE: Senior Associate, Communications
DEPARTMENT: Marketing and Communications
LOCATION: Stamford, CT
REPORTS TO: Director, Content Development
ASSIGNMENT TYPE: Full time
Americares is a health-focused relief and development organization that saves lives and improves health for people affected by poverty or disaster. Each year, Americares reaches 90 countries on average, including the United States, with life-changing health programs, medicine, medical supplies and emergency aid. Americares is the world’s leading nonprofit provider of donated medicine and medical supplies. For more information, visit americares.org.
Americares is seeking a collaborative team player to join its Marketing and Communications team. The department is responsible for Americares global messaging and storytelling, branding and visual identity; developing compelling written and visual content; executing successful marketing and public relations campaigns; and supporting the Development team’s communications with partners and donors.
The Senior Associate, Communications is responsible for assisting the Director, Content Development with researching, writing and building communications content for newsletters, donor and partner reports, web and other collateral materials and for coordinating all printing for the department. The Senior Associate will work closely with the director and other constituents to develop and support communications strategies. Additionally, you will help write scripts for video, podcast and live events.
The Senior Associate, Communications will also play a critical role for six to 12 months by supporting the “Reinforcing COVID-19 Vaccine Confidence” project funded through the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). This critical project seeks to build and reinforce COVID-19 vaccine confidence among health care personnel in the safety net sector and, in turn, the patients they serve. Health care personnel were among the first to receive COVID-19 vaccines because of their essential role in fighting the pandemic and their increased risk of infection and further spread among their patients. Health care personnel also play a critical role in promoting confidence among the population at large as wider distribution of vaccines become available. To reinforce confidence among health care personnel, and in turn the patients they serve, the Senior Associate, Communications will work with internal stakeholders as well as our network of safety net partners to implement informational, marketing, social media, networking and related communications activities.
Based on Americares ongoing COVID-19 response efforts and the needs of our safety net clinic partners around vaccine confidence, the Senior Associate, Communications will contribute to efforts to communicate effectively with clinic partners, their professional health staff and patients; create general COVID-19 vaccine information and content to help raise awareness; develop and aggregate content for e-newsletters; support webinar production for real-time information sharing; support social media content creation; and gather stories from health care professionals to support vaccine advocacy.
PRIMARY DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with Director, Content Development to research, write and edit content for Americares newsletters, donor and partner reports, and contribute content for other vehicles.
- Work with Director, Content Development on content creation, including writing, editing and coordinating the production of the Annual Report and special events collateral materials, including supporting the Annual Americares Airlift Benefit fundraising event, Americares Partner Summit and other thought-leadership events.
- Work with Director, Content Development on developing special reports or other documents for donor outreach, as well as support and update marketing collateral materials (brochures, posters, etc.).
- Organize, track and manage timelines and production for the Communications Department’s products, including overseeing a rolling calendar of all collateral and content production.
- Liaise with counterparts in Global Programs and Development on a regular basis to stay informed of key health programs and donor and partner reporting needs.
- Research and write stories of impact, featuring health care patients and/or donors and partners.
- Organize department’s content on SharePoint for greater organization-wide accessibility, including managing a story database representing diverse programmatic work and impact.
- Support the coordination of content gathering trips in collaboration with multimedia department and Global Programs.
- Perform general administrative duties, e.g. processing invoices and contracts and maintaining files.
LIVE THE AMERICARES VALUES:
- Foster Americares values of Collaborative, Accountable, Responsive and Effective.
- 2-3 years of related experience in communications, editing and/or writing
- Bachelor’s degree, preferably in communications, journalism or related field
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office
- Strong written and oral communication/presentation skills
- Experience with project management platforms (e.g. Asana, Basecamp, Smartsheet) a plus
- Experience with SharePoint, Adobe Creative Suite a plus
- Ability to handle multiple tasks, strong attention to detail, adhere to deadlines, and work well under pressure as part of a team
- Strong interest in international relief and development and health
- Demonstrated ability to work across all levels of an organization
- Bilingual abilities are a plus
- Must have unrestricted authorization to work in the United States
PERSONAL SUCCESS FACTORS:
- Passion for our mission and a desire to work within the emergency response and global health sector
- Interest in the marketing and communication industry
- Highly organized with effective time management skills
- Comfortable and confident managing input from and expectations of multiple stakeholders
- A commitment to excellence
- Team orientation; balanced focus on personal accountability and team goals
- Superior relationship skills, strong customer service orientation – someone who knows how to create effective and meaningful interactions with a variety of stakeholders (internal and external)
- Demonstrates creativity and resourcefulness in executing plans - figures out how to make it happen